Hello from the Bay Area

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny.B.Good

Reaction score
I have been visiting this site pretty much every day for many months doing a great deal of reading, but have never introduced myself or posted before today (I felt the need to chime in with an endorsement of Jon/JKI).

I started out in all of "this" just wanting to learn to sharpen (purchased an Edge Pro Professional although I have now purchased a set of stones from Jon), which led to reading about edge retention, debates about the pros and cons of German vs. Japanese knives, the KF civil war, custom makers, small vendors, and so on and so forth until here I am today, richer in knowledge, poorer in hard currency.

I picked up an ebony wa handled, 9-sun Murray Carter HG Funayuki in white steel a few months ago. I have been enjoying using it a great deal, but struggle with wandering eyes (I spend far too much time filling imaginary shopping carts at JCK, JKI, CKTG, etc.). I imagine I will attempt to round out my collection in the near future, and this time, I will probably solicit some advice from the forum membership. Just when I think I have my heart set on a 240 Masamoto KS Wa Gyuto with a white horn ferrule, I start to wonder whether a Mizuno would be more practical, or an exotic from Jon more exciting. It never ends.

Anyway, happy to be here and nice to meet everyone, but knowing you people sure has cost me some money (already), and there is no end in sight!

-Johnny

Welcome aboard! I had a horse once named Johnny B. Goode. He was one of the amazing ones. I miss him still, after 26 years or so.......

Welcome aboard! I had a horse once named Johnny B. Goode. He was one of the amazing ones. I miss him still, after 26 years or so.......

I love horses. And dogs. Not so much cats. But in general, animals > people. My family has been visiting a working guest ranch in the Eastern Sierras since I was a little boy of 5 years old (my mother went there as a child too). Horses are special creatures. Lots of friends in PDX too, as I'm a proud Oregon Duck.

Welcome! You've got a Carter out the door, you will find that handmade knives are going to generally set a new standard for you, and you jumped in the deep end!

Back