Anyone have any experience with this yanagiba?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
should be a solid choice given that its a sukenari

Ahhh... that makes sense. Just a friendly heads up, 240mm is a bit short for a yanagiba for most people

Thanks, just a home cook, not going to do whole loins, just smaller portions for sushi. Thinking a 240 (235) will be just about right.

Thanks, just a home cook, not going to do whole loins, just smaller portions for sushi. Thinking a 240 (235) will be just about right.

You might be surprised how much of a difference that extra 30mm can make when trying to make nice even, clean cuts. Length in a slicer is much more important than in a gyuto IME. I’ve gotten plenty done with a 180 mini-gyuto prep wise over a long shift, but that wouldn’t translate to slicer specific tasks by any means.

Length is just part of the equation. The weight of the knife enters into it as well. It's not like using a sujihiki; with a yanagiba you let the weight of the knife do a lot of the work. A heavier knife just makes it easier to cut. I'm only a home cook, and my first yanagiba was a 240, and it didn't take long for me to move up to a 270. I should have started with a 300, which is what I have now.

Rick, as always, fills in the blanks and gives all the useful info that the rest of us forget to mention!

I'm only a home cook, and my first yanagiba was a 240, and it didn't take long for me to move up to a 270. I should have started with a 300, which is what I have now.

That's called progress(ion) i ended up with a 330 when i started cutting tuna slabs ard 3 to 4kg weight/size 3 to 4 times a year... Skipped the 300mm though ~z

Back