Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just made my first purchase at JKI

Just made my first purchase at JKI

I haven't even received my items yet: https://www.japaneseknifeimports.com...-1-wa-sujihiki and https://www.japaneseknifeimports.com...attening-plate, but I wanted to comment on Jon's communication and service.

I have found it pretty rare in the world that someone responds in detail to every question/comment etc in an email carefully, and also somewhat uncommon that someone who is running a store blatantly recommends cheaper rather than more expensive items. I'm a rank beginner, yet he composed long emails addressing every aspect of every question that I asked, all of them written quite eloquently, I might add.

He also took into account my beginner status (especially at sharpening) and recommend a MUCH cheaper knife than I was first considering, and took to explain what exactly might go wrong in my usage and sharpening attempts with this knife, etc.

Of course, my GAS (don't know if that acronym is used in knife circles - it's used in electronic music forums to mean 'Gear Acquisition Syndrome') led me to buy the knife above (a different type than I was first considering), and likely not the best knife for a beginner....but he was just so patient with me the whole way and actually encouraged questions.

It seemed like the shipping notice arrived within minutes of my order, and it included a 'touch up' which I had asked about, and he had recommended.

Jon and JKI are always first rate. What made you go with the sujuhiki?

Quote Originally Posted by mc2442 View Post
    Jon and JKI are always first rate. What made you go with the sujuhiki?
    my reasoning is pretty incoherent at this point....but i have another one and it seems to attack root vegetables (like turnips) much better than my gyutos, I wanted a really good one, and wanted to buy something from JKI. It probably all boils down to how exciting it is at this point to get a new knife and try it out. It also looks like a bit of an easier knife to maintain for a beginner - I was initially looking at one of the blue #1 yanagibas, but Jon warned me about various issues that could arise from my incompetence. And I think that this one will be good for cutting sashimi, which was my original motivation. but yeah - ugh. want new knife. this is cool. ugh.

Administrator
    Ya done good!
    Older and wider..

Just wait for that packaging job

surprisingly, it's not very well known secret that suji is great at a lot of cutting tasks not just slicing stuff. i think most never thought to use it for gyuto tasks because it's so long and the lack of knuckle clearance holds them up, they gotta be more imaginative. whole reason i tried is because while i have a slicer out, if i need to cut something else up real quick why even bother swapping out knives if the one im already holding can get it done?

also, jon is one of the best at communicating meaningful answers and not just short and delayed responses like most other businesses.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelson_Baboon View Post
    He also took into account my beginner status (especially at sharpening) and recommend a MUCH cheaper knife than I was first considering, and took to explain what exactly might go wrong in my usage and sharpening attempts with this knife, etc.
    This is why Jon will never be Bernie Madoff rich. He goes out of his way to help the weak and uneducated.

As Delivery Boy Fry would say..."Just shut up and take my money!"
    "Into a country where the jails are full, and the mad houses closed." - Charles Bukowski

Great choice. Kagekiyo sujis look nice. Maybe one day I’ll be able to afford the ginsanko one.

Administrator
    I'd give Doom's left nut for one of those...
    Older and wider..

Kagekiyo suji and 270 gyuto in B1 are a dream set for me.