new stone - range 4k grit 6kgrit

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I don't like my chosera 5k. I don't like the feedback and I find the edge too refined. So I've been stopping at my chosera 3k (this one I like).
But I would like to go one step further... Would like to refine a little more my edge but keep a good bite.
My question:
JKI synthetic natural or gesshin 6k (splash & go)?
Thank you!!!

I’m literally in the same boat right now. I’ve got a Chosera 3k and want a little more refinement and am looking for a 6-8k stone that still keeps a good bite. I was looking at the two you mentioned, as well as the Arashyama 6k, Kityama 8k, Naniwa Snow White, among others

I don't like my chosera 5k. I don't like the feedback and I find the edge too refined. So I've been stopping at my chosera 3k (this one I like).
But I would like to go one step further... Would like to refine a little more my edge but keep a good bite.
My question:
JKI synthetic natural or gesshin 6k (splash & go)?
Thank you!!!

so, just a fair warning, the gesshin 6k splash and go will not have more bite than the chosera 5000... in general, the higher you go in grit, the less bite there is. If the 5k is too refined for you, you will want to look at things under 5k in general.

Had a similar poor experience with the Chosera 5k, not for being too refined but because of the total absence of any tactile feed back and the loss of bite. Used it after the Chosera 2k. Now have the 3k. No real need for much after that, but got the Snow-white for little money and felt in love. Very hard, lot of bite and feedback, exactly what I missed with the 5k.

Had a similar poor experience with the Chosera 5k, not for being too refined but because of the total absence of any tactile feed back and the loss of bite. Used it after the Chosera 2k. Now have the 3k. No real need for much after that, but got the Snow-white for little money and felt in love. Very hard, lot of bite and feedback, exactly what I missed with the 5k.
Which Snow White?

How abt using less strokes on the 5k grit ( i do max no more than 15 strokes per side for stones above 1k) so that you dont remove too much of the striations of the 3K?? or

jump from 1k to 5k.... provided that you have a best possible apex at 1k grit

just my thoughts... ~z

How abt using less strokes on the 5k grit ( i do max no more than 15 strokes per side for stones above 1k) so that you dont remove too much of the striations of the 3K?? or

just my thoughts... ~z

I was going to suggest the same thing. Jump from a lower stone than even 1k and see if you prefer the results.

Also, how many true 5k stones are out there?

And the synthetic natural? I know it may make my 3k disposable, but would I see a sensitive improvement?

so, just a fair warning, the gesshin 6k splash and go will not have more bite than the chosera 5000... in general, the higher you go in grit, the less bite there is. If the 5k is too refined for you, you will want to look at things under 5k in general.

And the synthetic natural? I know it may make my 3k disposable, but would I see a sensitive improvement?

just my thoughts... ~z

Interesting aproach... I will try that...

It’s funny, I often get the desire to pick up the rika 5k again. It’s the first finishing stone I owned and I learned how to sharpen on it. Any idea if it’s a true 5k?

Same here.My first was the Rika 5k and I still have and use it from time to time and I am reminded of how nice it feels.I think the Rika is more like a 4k stone,from what I read any how.I jump back and forth with that and my JKI Synthetic Natural which also is a very nice stone.I have often thought of also getting the Gesshin 4000 but then I keep asking myself,why?

Same here.My first was the Rika 5k and I still have and use it from time to time and I am reminded of how nice it feels.I think the Rika is more like a 4k stone,from what I read any how.I jump back and forth with that and my JKI Synthetic Natural which also is a very nice stone.I have often thought of also getting the Gesshin 4000 but then I keep asking myself,why?

Haha. Does the rika edge feel more refined than synth nat?

Haha. Does the rika edge feel more refined than synth nat?

I never really compared them but the bite I achieve is close to being the same and I really don't spend a lot of time on either stone,maybe 5 strokes each side.The Rika leaves a kind of foggy edge while the Syn Nat gives me a nice shine which looks and feels amazingly sharp.I guess if I really had to choose one it would definitely be the Syn Natural.It doesn't require a long soak while the Rika needs about a half hour or so.Both feel good.The Rika is about half the cost of the syn nat but then you get a lot more stone in the syn nat too.

It’s funny, I often get the desire to pick up the rika 5k again. It’s the first finishing stone I owned and I learned how to sharpen on it. Any idea if it’s a true 5k?
To me the Rika is closer to 3K than 5K, but I have no way to scientifically assess this at home.

About the Rika: some time ago BDL wrote about its double function as both a 3 and 5k. Does that correspond to your experience?
See here post Nr. 5:
https://cheftalk.com/threads/wondering-if-new-stone-is-needed.75700/

I don't know.I really didn't give it much thought.I usually just worked up a little mud with a mini diamond plate on the Rika then gave it a few strokes each side after coming off a 2k. If I was going to jump on up to the Snow White,I spent more time on the Rika.

i havent tried it but isnt the consensus best 4-6k stone the gesh 4k soaker?

I don't know about that one either.I don't have a Gesshin 4000 but I bet you could flip a coin between that and the JKI Syn,Nat. Panda. After coming off my Syn Nat,I don't see how my edge could be further improved and I really like the feel of that stone.It really is a pleasure to use having a smooth and creamy feel.I have the G-400 and the G-2000 and the G4000 would have been a good compliment to those stones as a set because they all are soakers and feel great while sharpening and get the job done nicely.The Syn Nat is a splash and go but can be permasoaked as well if you want.

Back