Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Thread: Shiro kamo

Shiro kamo

https://cleancut.se/butik/knivserier...3-18-15-detail

I would like to hear opinions on this one please.

And then I have in mind these.

https://cleancut.se/butik/knivmodell...kkniv-1-detail

https://cleancut.se/butik/knivmodell...14-2202-detail

https://cleancut.se/butik/knivmodell...ar-2427-detail

https://cleancut.se/butik/knivserier...3-18-54-detail

Thanks in advance

I just got that knife. In my limited experience, it seems very good. I would recommend it.

While I haven't tried all of them, I think Wakui would be the one with the best reputation. It has quite a thick spine and is very thin behind the edge, which I personally love.

So you went from prefering SS to fully reactive carbons which all the options here are. Though all are very solid choices.

I've owned several Shiro Kamo knives. Still own two. VERY good value. Flawless F&F and nice cutters, good heat treats too. The B2 Damascus I haven't owned, but I have discussed it with Cleancut and it's cladding is very highly reactive and that's why I passed on it. Not a bad thing necessarily, just need to wipe it down right after every use. It's a very well made middleweight knife with nice versatile profile and the convex grind strikes a nice middle ground balance between thin behind the edge, but not too thin.

The KU version I used to own and it's basically a wide bevel version of the dammy. Similar profile, weight, balance etc. The KU finish protects the blade from patina, but the exposed part of the blade is very reactive. This is THE value option on the list.

The two Yoshis are the same W2 steel gyuto, they only have different handles. I have the SKD (semistainless) version from EE. I believe the design is about the same (atleast profile, weight, balance and grind), the steel it's made from is different. VERY high F&F, the food release is very good too and it still retains great cutting performance. The iron cladding make these fully reactive, but not as reactive as the Kamos.

If I remember this right. Wakui actually used to work at Yoshikane before starting to make his own knives. And they do share a lot of qualities. I have the SS clad kasumi version with W2 core steel and I absolutely love it. Though Cleancuts version is iron clad and I haven't used the KU version, but there's a new separate thread discussing that knife and you saw the thread already. Like all the others on this list, this is also a great middle weight option. Not as reactive as the Kamos.

From these my pick would be between the Yoshi and Wakui, though with the smallest of margins the Yoshi would take first place due to it's slightly better distal taper and tip (comparing the Wakui and Yoshi I have). The Kamos would come closely behind with a shared third spot depending which type of grind rocks your boat, convex or wide bevel. Though for sheer bang for buck the Kamo KU is hard to beat.

Quote Originally Posted by JaVa View Post
    If I remember this right. Wakui actually used to work at Yoshikane before starting to make his own knives. And they do share a lot of qualities. I have the SS clad kasumi version with W2 core steel and I absolutely love it. Though Cleancuts version is iron clad and I haven't used the KU version, but there's a new separate thread discussing that knife and you saw the thread already. Like all the others on this list, this is also a great middle weight option. Not as reactive as the Kamos.
    As always, great feedback, JaVa. FYI, the Wakui nashiji models are actually SS clad...

Thanks ashy.

And so it is. Thanks for the correction.
    And since the Wakui is SS clad, it would take first spot for me.

...might even have to get one now? Dammit.

From these my pick would be between the Yoshi and Wakui, though with the smallest of margins the Yoshi would take first place due to it's slightly better distal taper and tip (comparing the Wakui and Yoshi I have). The Kamos would come closely behind with a shared third spot depending which type of grind rocks your boat, convex or wide bevel. Though for sheer bang for buck the Kamo KU is hard to beat.
    JaVa's points/observations are spot-on.
    I can't comment on the Kamo, but have yoshi and Wakui and like them both.
    Both are fruit of the same tree, as JaVa points out, considering Wakui's training.
    For me, the biggest difference is behind the edge--Wakui's are thinner than Yoshi. Wakui does well to find that balance between thick-ish spine and thin behind the edge. Yoshi has a little more meat behind the edge and so just a little more convex to the grind, which helps with food release.
    IIRC, the Yoshi are also shorter by a few mm. I don't have them in front of me at the moment so can't measure for you... but food release is also a product of height, so this may factor in.

Wakui is a bargain at $185, tho'...
    https://www.aframestokyo.com/tesshu-...-mr-wa240.html

Yoshi gets my vote

So you went from prefering SS to fully reactive carbons which all the options here are. Though all are very solid choices.

I've owned several Shiro Kamo knives. Still own two. VERY good value. Flawless F&F and nice cutters, good heat treats too. The B2 Damascus I haven't owned, but I have discussed it with Cleancut and it's cladding is very highly reactive and that's why I passed on it. Not a bad thing necessarily, just need to wipe it down right after every use. It's a very well made middleweight knife with nice versatile profile and the convex grind strikes a nice middle ground balance between thin behind the edge, but not too thin.

The KU version I used to own and it's basically a wide bevel version of the dammy. Similar profile, weight, balance etc. The KU finish protects the blade from patina, but the exposed part of the blade is very reactive. This is THE value option on the list.

The two Yoshis are the same W2 steel gyuto, they only have different handles. I have the SKD (semistainless) version from EE. I believe the design is about the same (atleast profile, weight, balance and grind), the steel it's made from is different. VERY high F&F, the food release is very good too and it still retains great cutting performance. The iron cladding make these fully reactive, but not as reactive as the Kamos.

Well it is true my friend, after all the talking I did here I became into learning to sharpen and also I really want something that cuts like crazy and easy to learn sharpening on. Thats why i came to decide carbons, and the better food release of yoshi shounds cool but the ss clad of wakui too ill choose between the two of them I guess. And im buying a 1000 and 3000 stone to begin with.

Administrator
    Don't like that the Yoshi is carbon. 1st choice there would be to reach a little deeper and go SLD. 2nd choice would be Kurochi.

But it was not long ago he had stainless clad Yoshi. May be out of stock. You could ask.

Older and wider..