Checking in from Cape Town, South Africa

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 36674

Reaction score
Hey folks,

I've been a hobbyist cook for a few decades now, and have a knife set about as old. I figured I'd learn to sharpen and take care of it before buying something new so that I can treat any new knives right :angel2:.

Looking at a Suehiro Cerax 1000/6000 combo to start with (not a lot of options locally unfortunately), and them maybe a MAC Pro 8".

Nice to be here!

There's a thread about biltong from a few weeks ago :)

Welcome GEG
Definitely on the right track with sharpening 👍 I have lots of love for the Mac Pro but maybe fill out the new knife questionnaire in the kitchen knife subforum and you might find something that might give even more bang for the buck 😊
enjoy the journey

Thanks for the welcome :).

The bloody ceraxes are out of stock with a new shipment 'about to leave China'. I'm not patient enough for the slowboat from China so for the same money it's a pedestrian Suehiro 1003 and 6003 to start with. Also a large DMT XXC plate for flattening.

The commonly available alternatives here are no-name stuff, and vendor branded combo stones (Wusthof, Kai, Global etc.) that I have no idea what's in them. There are some pricier stones available, Shaptons for example, but not at the Glass or Naniwa Chosera level, so I'd rather start budget than spend double just to upgrade again later. I can bring something good in via Amazon when I'm ready. I have the stones and my trusty Zwillinge so now it's time to practise. I guess I'm just missing one key piece which is a nice hunk of brick to dull with :eyebrow:.

I'll look for that knife questionnaire, @niwaki-boy, thanks.

Oh also, mods gave me temporary powers to boot you off the forum if you support the Stormers

Latest posts

Back