Pork belly substitute

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My girlfriend does not like pork, so I'm looking for a non-pork pork belly substitute for char siu, so something to BBQ. Fresh turkey isn't available here easily and I don't want to use chicken since I'm already using that for something else, so I'm guessing I want the best red meat substitute? What cut of what animal would be best suited in this case?

The other option is to get a new girlfriend.

I think chuck short ribs normally have a bit more marbling than short ribs, but it just might be dependent on the specific cow... Another choice would be a brisket point. They are normally very fatty. And beef navel is the same cut as pork belly and very fatty. However, it may be hard to find. A kosher butcher should be able to get the brisket and the navel.

I mean yeah maybe Korean style short ribs?

Brisket would be the obvious choice in my mind. Maybe trimmed to be less thick and then treated exactly like you would the pork belly.

Geez, pork and turkey free char siu options? It's just a marinade.

Here's a very basic lamb version:
Char siu lamb
https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/chinese-char-siu-grilled-lamb-chops

My girlfriend does not like pork, so I'm looking for a non-pork pork belly substitute for char siu, so something to BBQ. Fresh turkey isn't available here easily and I don't want to use chicken since I'm already using that for something else, so I'm guessing I want the best red meat substitute? What cut of what animal would be best suited in this case?

Back