Sharp, The Definitive Guide to Knives, Knife Care, and Cutting Techniques.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone else reading Josh Donald of Bernal Cutlery's book that just came out? I haven't finished it yet but I'm finding it a lot better than average text on kitchen cutlery. Very interesting. I especially like his history of the French pattern chef knife and the sections on individual Japanese makers.

I guess the thing that is starting to bug me about this book is they use like zero photo captions. So what is that knife in the photo and how about some details on the sharpening techniques? You are left to try and figure that out from the text two pages ago.

yeah, not having the references in the caption bothers me a bit too. I saw the book today at Bernal, smaller than I imagined, but will still pick one up eventually.

"Thrasher magazine" bumper-sticker (on his saya!)
hipster level: achieved

Thanks for posting this, I was also curious about the "Sharp" book after seeing an an IG posting about it. Got me thinking that I've a couple of book shelves filled with more cookbooks than I can count, but not a single book on the subject of kitchen knives. Considering making this my inaugural knife book—though I do wonder what I'd gain from a book versu what I've gathered from the internet.

Would like to see how it compares to other four books on the subject, such as:
• Japanese Kitchen Knives: Essential Techniques and Recipes
• An Edge in the Kitchen: The Ultimate Guide to Kitchen Knives - How to Buy Them, Keep Them Razor Sharp, and Use Them Like a Pro
• Japanese Knives and Sharpening Techniques
• Knife: The Culture, Craft and Cult of the Cook's Knife

Anyone else reading Josh Donald of Bernal Cutlery's book that just came out? I haven't finished it yet but I'm finding it a lot better than average text on kitchen cutlery. Very interesting. I especially like his history of the French pattern chef knife and the sections on individual Japanese makers.

I have all of those except for Japanese Knives and Sharpening Techniques (sitting in my Amazon cart but will now purchase, thank you).

Sharp is a worthwhile addition.

Sharp focuses more on the gyuto and petty than the other books. It also has a good history of the kitchen knife in the West and in Japan and how the two collided. The coverage of the few makers discussed (e.g. Ashi Hamono, Hinoura) is very good if not particularly lengthy. The recipe part is not hugely useful but he does try to tie in each recipe to a knife and the proper use of that knife.

Thanks for posting this, I was also curious about the "Sharp" book after seeing an an IG posting about it. Got me thinking that I've a couple of book shelves filled with more cookbooks than I can count, but not a single book on the subject of kitchen knives. Considering making this my inaugural knife book—though I do wonder what I'd gain from a book versu what I've gathered from the internet.

Would like to see how it compares to other four books on the subject, such as:
• Japanese Kitchen Knives: Essential Techniques and Recipes
• An Edge in the Kitchen: The Ultimate Guide to Kitchen Knives - How to Buy Them, Keep Them Razor Sharp, and Use Them Like a Pro
• Japanese Knives and Sharpening Techniques
• Knife: The Culture, Craft and Cult of the Cook's Knife

Finished reading the book, the chapter on Japan was my favorite, recommended.
What knife is on page 160? I really like the profile.

What do people who have read the book, Knife: The Culture, Craft and Cult of the Cook's Knife think of it?

I was looking for a book that focuses more on the technical part rather than the historical part. I would like to learn more about different steels but also about sharpening, caring and cutting techniques.
Which one of the titles you mentioned would it be best?

Back