Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Knife Tips

Knife Tips

In tinkering with knives the last few months, the most interesting design feature is that of the blade tip. For me, the tip work must be nearly effortless for the knife to have any real value. Furthermore, it seems like lots of knives are decent in terms of power-strokes. How about you? What is your MOST IMPORTANT design feature?

Face grinds! A crap knife with crap HT and soft steel will be tolerable to use if the face is ground well. Contrast that with the fact that the Damasteel gyuto Pierre passed around(which was the best, most consistently ground knife I've ever used), which was made before he stopped the flat face grinds. It was a great knife with great balance, profile and aesthetics and excellent edge retention, but the drag and lackluster taper made it hard to love.

Great thread idea!

I like a knife that has a decent sweet spot just back from the tip for chopping, it's incredibly useful

The knife I owned with the best cutting tip was so thin(good) that it flexed way to much when sharpening(bad).One of my banes when grinding a knife.I would like to find the perfect thickness.

Quote Originally Posted by RRLOVER View Post
    ...I would like to find the perfect thickness.
    That's been an issue for me, too. My DT is incredibly thin at the tip and cuts great, as expected. The weird thing is my Carter is way thicker but cuts just about as nicely and then there are knives like Heiji and the beastly Zakuri that are quite thick near the tip but still afford nearly effortless tip work. There's definitly a magical balance between thinness and the grind Eamon mentioned...

i like a flat belly that has a long sweet spot. i do 90% of my knifework between the heel and maybe halfway up the knife towards the tip. i guess im kinda the exact opposite of TK lol
    It's like my ol' grandpappy used to say; "The less one makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look a fool in retrospect"

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Snips View Post
    i like a flat belly that has a long sweet spot. i do 90% of my knifework between the heel and maybe halfway up the knife towards the tip.
    That's me too.

But sometimes when I need a lot of tip work done, I use a smaller knife. My new 165mm gyuto of Fowler's is quickly becoming one of my favorites this way.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

Not sure exactly what characteristic of the tip it is thats important for you, but for me it is the placement of the tip itself; where it sits; how high it is; how much belly is behind it. When I put the tip to the board, it can't feel awkward. If my wrist is twisted our outstretched, I no likey.

A nice flat spot is high on my list, too...
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

I don't know if I own enough knives for me to comment on this... but I think it's down to either profile or thickness, and the interaction they have. I gave a CCK cleaver a very similar edge geometry to my Konosuke and it doesn't cut nearly as well. The Kono just wants to glide through food while the CCK doesn't seem to want to very much for some reason.