JCK Mizuno KS custom 240 sumi knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chicagohawkie

Reaction score
Just received a new arrival mail from JCK. Holy crap 1700 bucks! Is it just me or is this insane?

Yeah she's about $1000 over priced unless I'm missing something major.

A year ago you got the blue 1 sumi for less than 800. Regular Sakai profile of course. This is just a cash grab now.

Everything that says ks after the name I just avoid. I have no time for "the hype" and neither does my wallet.

I don’t see a reg 240mm suminagashi gyuto available at the moment. But I believe just a normal one with ho handle is $1275-1375 ish. They’re always like a couple hundred more than miz honyaki.

I don’t see a reg 240mm suminagashi gyuto available at the moment. But I believe just a normal one with ho handle is $1275-1375 ish. They’re always like a couple hundred more than miz honyaki.

$1600 and something with a ho and horn handle. Xtra $100ish for a captain fancy pants 5 piece ebony handle.

Yup - they were in that 1200 range - still one of my best knives ever, however i don't see how a "KS" stamp should command $500 more.. How much did people pay for the recent Miz
"KS" honyaki?

Yeah, your missing something major. The standard profile knife is $1350, so you are paying $250 to $365 for a special order custom profile, depending on the handle you choose.

I'm aware of the fact a standard one is $1350, I meant the blade is most likely over priced by Mizuno(as I find most/all Mizuno), I would be shocked if ikeda or shiraki or whoever they were commissioning for this line was charging anything close to 200,000 being demanded here, I've commissioned multiple custom profile blades with Sakai Smiths and have never been quoted a number anything close to that(I was once but that was for a Tatsuo Ikeda). Heck I have a honyaki gyuto(I presume honyaki and sumanigashi add about the same) with custom grind, profile, polish job and a significantly fancier handle being made and it was half that. Saying this I find all big brand knives(nenohi, nenox, Mizuno, konosuke etc) super over priced. My main point was I think(believe) this blade is only worth 700ish and would have a hard time justifying more money then that, I just don't see what the extra $1000 is buying me) if that makes sense.

I'm aware of the fact a standard one is $1350, I meant the blade is most likely over priced by Mizuno(as I find most/all Mizuno), I would be shocked if ikeda or shiraki or whoever they were commissioning for this line was charging anything close to 200,000 being demanded here, I've commissioned multiple custom profile blades with Sakai Smiths and have never been quoted a number anything close to that(I was once but that was for a Tatsuo Ikeda). Heck I have a honyaki gyuto(I presume honyaki and sumanigashi add about the same) with custom grind, profile, polish job and a significantly fancier handle being made and it was half that. Saying this I find all big brand knives(nenohi, nenox, Mizuno, konosuke etc) super over priced. My main point was I think(believe) this blade is only worth 700ish and would have a hard time justifying more money then that, I just don't see what the extra $1000 is buying me) if that makes sense.

Well, you're comparing apples and oranges by bringing in other makers, but I will grant you that there are less expensive knives available.

I don't have an issue with the price, sometimes I feel there's too much emphasis on perceived value and comparables. If it's a good knife, and the buyer's able to afford it, cool. If the product is too overpriced for what the market can absorb, then people won't buy it, and the manufacturer will chalk it up to a miscalculation. I'll not tell a buyer of this knife that they got ripped off.

What does bug me is usage of the term "KS," would rather have the Mizuno come up with another name and stand on its own merits rather than reference the Masamoto KS. Looks beefier than my KS, and the handles a little clunky—I probably wouldn't have made those judgements if it weren't called a "KS."

I just noticed that the $1600+ knives are actually 270mm.
You have to go to the Specifications to see the size.
https://japanesechefsknife.com/prod...-shaped-ebony-wooden-handle-with-white-spacer

The $1200 - $1300 knives are 240mm.

He has 240 and 270 in his descriptions,I would be more prone to believe This Special Custom Order Mizuno Tanrenjo Ao Hagane DX Suminagashi Wa-Gyuto knife shares the same blade shape and geometry as the popular "Masamoto KS-3124", 240mm Wa-Gyuto. Master Mizuno makes this knife with an especially thin blade cross-section and we think he has produced another fine & practical Wa-Gyuto ! then the specifications tab.

He has 240 and 270 in his descriptions,I would be more prone to believe This Special Custom Order Mizuno Tanrenjo Ao Hagane DX Suminagashi Wa-Gyuto knife shares the same blade shape and geometry as the popular "Masamoto KS-3124", 240mm Wa-Gyuto. Master Mizuno makes this knife with an especially thin blade cross-section and we think he has produced another fine & practical Wa-Gyuto ! then the specifications tab.

Yes...the 270mm are $1600+ and the 240mm are $1200+
The general description, where they refer to the KS-3124 knife is the same for both sizes. you have to click on the Specifications tab to see the length of the actual knife being sold for that price.

This is the Specifications for the Special Custom Order Mizuno Tanrenjo Ao Hagane DX Suminagashi Wa-Gyuto where it clearly says the knife is 270mm:
ScreenShot20180622at.png

I was interested in the Mis blue 1 240 sumi a year and change ago and they were 800 or so if I remember correctly. Even these have gone through the roof! Give me several Tanaka’s any day of the week!

I am so tired of the "KS" reference on any knife that is more "pointed" or dagger shaped than other profiles. Especially when it's actually a French profile that the KS copied.
There is only ONE KS and only ONE!

It’s important to remember these knives were made by request in the first place. Mizuno brand is probably quite happy with the work they already do. The sticker price is probably a f**k you for asking me to clone another persons knife tax.

Is the 240mm KS even worth $500 retail now???

Back