Review comparison of three 1k stones: JNS, Watanabe, and King Hyper

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for doing this Carlos! I have learned a lot, and gonna try the JNS / Hyper combo on my next polishing session!

That is a very nice and to-point review and will be helpful for many looking for a 1000 stone.

The only additional information (which I and few others kept off KKF out of courtesy to Shinichi but which has been leaked here already) is that AI#1000 is Shapton Pro 1000 which may make it a very attractive price-wise as at least for us here in EU means we do not need to order from Japan and pay all the extra cost.

I also have the AI#1000 and it indeed feels coarser that 1000 (more like 600 - 800) and use it either as bevel finisher when I make knives, or when sharpening then I move to Aizu and a Suita. I do like the speed of this stone and fine the feedback acceptable (not as nice as Gesshin 2000)

Glad you guys like/find the write up useful.

Matus, indeed, I didn't include the Shapton=AI detail as I only had the assumption and not absolute confirmation about it. I think the same is true for the AI 2000 and Shapton Pro 2000.

That is a very nice and to-point review and will be helpful for many looking for a 1000 stone.

The only additional information (which I and few others kept off KKF out of courtesy to Shinichi but which has been leaked here already) is that AI#1000 is Shapton Pro 1000 which may make it a very attractive price-wise as at least for us here in EU means we do not need to order from Japan and pay all the extra cost.

I also have the AI#1000 and it indeed feels coarser that 1000 (more like 600 - 800) and use it either as bevel finisher when I make knives, or when sharpening then I move to Aizu and a Suita. I do like the speed of this stone and fine the feedback acceptable (not as nice as Gesshin 2000)

valgard i pretty much agree with your assessment on these stones although my memory has faded of the JNS as i last had it long time ago. have you tried chosera800? that's got even better feedback than the hyper and is only slightly slower.

i got rid of the ai1k so quick because i just couldnt get over its crap feedback. it makes sense that its shapton pro :D

have you tried chosera800? that's got even better feedback than the hyper and is only slightly slower.

No, haven't tried the 800, sounds like a great stone but honestly I don't see myself going for another 1K in the near future, will probably focus on the coarse and extra coarse grit stones as I'm pretty satisfied with the 1K.

Love the format of the writeup, the comparisons,
and just the right amount of information, etc.

No, haven't tried the 800, sounds like a great stone but honestly I don't see myself going for another 1K in the near future, will probably focus on the coarse and extra coarse grit stones as I'm pretty satisfied with the 1K.

Yeah that would be fun. For the 300-320grit comparison a king 300 would be nice to have in the mix. Not because I’m impressed with it but because so many people have used it. It’s a good stone to compare others too.

Yeah that would be fun. For the 300-320grit comparison a king 300 would be nice to have in the mix. Not because I’m impressed with it but because so many people have used it. It’s a good stone to compare others too.
Would love to see a low grit shootout, I also ended up with a King 300 because it seems to be the most middle of the road option. Maybe throw in the ring a pink brick, sp300, King 300?

Glad you guys like/find the write up useful.

Matus, indeed, I didn't include the Shapton=AI detail as I only had the assumption and not absolute confirmation about it. I think the same is true for the AI 2000 and Shapton Pro 2000.

I have the information from different sources plus there is a very detailed post on one German forum where the stones are compared side by side and no difference could be found. I would assume that the same is true for the 2000 stone based on color and dimensions, but there I have not seen such a detailed comparison.

BTW - there is a stone faster than the Shapton Pro 1000 - the Sigma Select II. It is brutally fast - if you try to thin a soft stainless knife with it, you will feel the stone literally ripping it into pieces, but it also has about the worst feel I have ever experienced. Even 220 Bester feels nicer :)

Thx Matus, I included the Shapton piece as an edit.

labor, Xenif, I will be focusing my own personal search on more low grits, so far I have only used pink brick 220 from Watanabe, atoma 140, SG 320, Chosera 400, SG 500, have a dual density Naniwa 300 on the way and a Sigma power 120. Will likely get a king 300 and Shapton m24 120 but I still don’t think I’ll do a comparison soon.

You don't ha've the good ones on your list. JNS 300 is s gut and synthetic coarse s&g. G400 is gut soaker.

The Omura is a natural but priced like a syn. Best stone ever for German and other "wear resistant" stainless.

You don't ha've the good ones on your list. JNS 300 is s gut and synthetic coarse s&g. G400 is gut soaker.

The Omura is a natural but priced like a syn. Best stone ever for German and other "wear resistant" stainless.

Oh I got a couple naturals in the coarse/midgrit range (not any omura tho), they are great to finish some edges and as part of polishing progression but not for serious metal removal. I always want to try the Geshin stones but customs + shipping make them a hard call (but I accept donations).

This thread has generated much more interest than I thought it would when I wrote the review. [emoji120]

I'm almost positive it's the Shapton M15, not the newer Pro.

This makes me really want to try the hyper, and I hardly ever use my synth stones

Fundamentally they are interchangeble stones IIRC, not
some new revelation or completely differnt stone.

M24 vs Shapton pro is like Chosera vs Naniwa pro
basically a re-formulated export version without base.

(Somebody correct me if this is wrong, of course)

Back