• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

PM Petty(s)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin0505

Founding Member
Reaction score
Time to free up some space on the knife racks. -Same story as I've seen on the BST forums time and time again: I like all of my knifes, but I'm just looking to find a few that don't see enough use a good home. Paypal pref., I'll pay fees and insured shipping.

So, after much deliberation and handwringing here are 3 up for your consideration:
20111119_161105.jpg

Shun Kramer Meji 6" utility.
I don't think that they make these anymore. I tried all of them and felt that this was the best knife in the range in terms of design performance and value.
SG2 steel clad with high-nickel "damascus."
Resin stabilized pakkawood handle. Right handed "D" w/ metal bolster.
Rounded spine, nicely finished choil.
The blade is nice and thin with an even distal taper. It's also appropriately thin behind the edge. It performs like a laser without feeling too flimsy or fragile. The tip is longer, thinner and more acute than some paring knives.
This one really hasn't seen much heavy use. It's been sharpened maybe 3 times and has an awesome, better-than-factory j-nat stone edge on it now. There are some very faint, only visible from certain angles, scuffs on the blade from normal use and sharpening. The Shun logo is a bit warn and could probably be completely removed with a little elbow grease.
$200
20111119_161820.jpg

Blazen Petty Knife 110mm w/ Saya.
I believe this one is also clad SG2 steel (though not damy).
It's the thinnest blade that I own. It's also the least used knife in this sale. Prior to posting, I touched up the edge on a j-nat and then strop to bring it back to hair popping sharp, but it's never been taken though a full sharpening progression.
It's a very unique size and blade shape, but the handle is just too small for my big crude, non-Asian paws to make it a favorite of mine. I've read that some Blazen's having very poor F&F. This one is not up to the level of high-end Shun, but I also don's see any real flaws either. The knife it's self is in almost-new condition, the saya has a few small cosmetic scrapes and dings.
It's on sale for $105 at CKTG, I'll sell for $90
20111119_162042.jpg

Haslinger 6" "Next Generation" Chefs / Utility
S30V steel blade and full tang (mono steel; not clad) w/ the coolest looking curly Koa scales that I've seen
This one actually suffered a broken tip a few years ago when it spun off of a counter and landed tip down. However, IMO this actually made it a more useful knife. The old tip was needle-fine and wafer-thin. It was so delicate that it was disconcerting to use and it was also very out of character with how robust the rest of the knife is (spine is 2.7mm in front of handle). So, losing a couple mm off the nose didn't really sacrifice much in terms of function and detail work, but made it a knife that you can use for fairly heavy tasks without worrying about.
As you can see in the photos, it's got a kinda unique shape too it: almost like a western honsuki, and it does, infact, work great for breaking down whole chickens. This one has been used and sharpened several times over the years and you can tell it's not a new knife, but it's also still in very good shape without any major scuffs, scratches, etc. The steel is really fantastic and gets very, very sharp. It was the first knife that I passed the Niloc "folded receipt paper" test with.
The new ones are over $300, I'll sell this one for $210.
20111119_161651.jpg

Here's the link to the gallery with a few more photos and everything in full res:
https://picasaweb.google.com/117600618285187025883/PMPettySale?authkey=Gv1sRgCNy7tr6gxK30Xw

Thanks for looking!

All knives sold; that was easy!

Thanks KKF! Paypal donation sent.

Latest posts

Back