Quantcast
The shave test - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The shave test

Quote Originally Posted by Rottman View Post
    Didn't MC shave with a spoon. What does it prove then?
    It proves he can sharpen the sh*t out of a spoon!
    Seriously...Obsidian is an incredibly, incredibly sharp material. The problem with it is it has no edge stability. If you were to smack a cutting board with it, it would fracture and leave fractures in the product you are cutting. No one wants obsidian in their mouth, as it is pretty much the sharpest thing known to man. Shaving goes to show that there is great edge geometry, facial hair if far harder to shave than arm hair. If i make a knife sharp enough to shave facial hair, it should be sharp enough to cut pretty much anything it will ever need to cut...IMO

Shaving in a video with a knife you made is an indicator that you have some sort of marketing skills.There is nothing more to it then selling knives.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Davis View Post
    Obsidian is an incredibly, incredibly sharp material. The problem with it is it has no edge stability. If you were to smack a cutting board with it, it would fracture and leave fractures in the product you are cutting.
    My point exactly. Yet extremes of sharpness is the main focus for a lot of people with their kitchen knives, and shaving requires, in the very least, an extremely sharp edge. If extreme sharpness was the #1 need in a kitchen knife, the highest performance knives would be made from obsidian. We stopped using obsidian in the kitchen altogether a few thousand years ago because extreme sharpness isn't the #1 issue.

To me, the shave test and other sharpness tests are just feeding the misconception that it's all about sharp sharp sharp all the time. It would beg the question why they don't just use straight razors for sashimi?

Quote Originally Posted by johndoughy View Post
    My point exactly. Yet extremes of sharpness is the main focus for a lot of people with their kitchen knives, and shaving requires, in the very least, an extremely sharp edge. If extreme sharpness was the #1 need in a kitchen knife, the highest performance knives would be made from obsidian. We stopped using obsidian in the kitchen altogether a few thousand years ago because extreme sharpness isn't the #1 issue.

To me, the shave test and other sharpness tests are just feeding the misconception that it's all about sharp sharp sharp all the time. It would beg the question why they don't just use straight razors for sashimi?
    I seem to remember a YouTube video of someone using a straight razor to slice a garlic clove.
    “Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”

Quote Originally Posted by Pensacola Tiger View Post
    I seem to remember a YouTube video of someone using a straight razor to slice a garlic clove.
    in Goodfellas a utility razor is used. i tried it, and found i could make as thin of cuts with a good gyuto and some technique.

The reason why Eamon's rationale is flawed is because it implies that a hypothetical steel kitchen knife with an edge as sharp as obsidian would not be suitable for kitchen use.

a hypothetical steel kitchen knife with an edge as sharp as obsidian would probably travel through time and kill Hitler.

Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    a hypothetical steel kitchen knife with an edge as sharp as obsidian would probably travel through time and kill Hitler.
    What's wrong with that?

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    What's wrong with that?
    absolutely nothing. as long as killing Hitler doesn't let the robot death squads from super-squirrel space invade, because they would be even worse.

hmm. hadn't considered that... you might have something there.

+ Reply to Thread