Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The shave test

The shave test

He doesn't shave his goatee, so Murray Carter won't listen to him(just kiddin, MC), but this guy does a bada** demonstration. I wrote an article about this very thing recently, I would have loved to have had this video to prove the principle!

If you can shave with obsidian, and nobody uses kitchen knives made from obsidian(for good reasons), then shaving is not a good indicator of a good kitchen edge.

Quote Originally Posted by johndoughy View Post
    ...If you can shave with obsidian, and nobody uses kitchen knives made from obsidian(for good reasons), then shaving is not a good indicator of a good kitchen edge.
    This guy probably does use obsidian for kitchen knives, lol. Regardless, your logic is flawed. While it is not a definitive test, shaving is, in fact, a fine test of useful sharpness.

Didn't MC shave with a spoon. What does it prove then?

It proves that he's pretty good at shaving. Shaving is shaving and you don't shave your food! And if you do, you might not want to share that.

an obsidian edge is far sharper than anything you can get with steel because of the way it fractures.

very cool, did not know that about obsidian. I will remember it in case I'm ever in a situation where I'm held captive by my arch nemesis in his private office where he has a nice decorative display of core obsidian and a tigers tooth.

Quote Originally Posted by Rottman View Post
    Didn't MC shave with a spoon. What does it prove then?
    It indicates that MC can likely cut food with his spoon, lol.

The spoon was special forged by him from Blue Super as far as I remember.

I know MC made the spoon for the demo, it was made from white #1.

Eamon's conclusion would work with machetes, axes and whatever people use to shave: "If you can shave with obsidian, and nobody uses kitchen knives made from obsidian(for good reasons), then shaving is not a good indicator of a good kitchen edge."

Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    an obsidian edge is far sharper than anything you can get with steel because of the way it fractures.
    Interesting. Have you ever browsed the flint knapped knives at flintknappers.com? A lot of them are really cool looking (and a lot cheaper than what we buy on this forum).

I like this one.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	flintknifesappele.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	54.0 KB 
ID:	2506

Flint Knife.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson