Julia Child on Knives and knife skills

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love seeing these vintage videos. Thanks for sharing it.

Maybe this is the first recorded video of a person saying don't put a knife in a dishwasher. Btw, if you are ever in Washington, DC the American History Museum has Julia's actual kitchen on display and you can see what knives, pots, appliances etc she used in her home. I'll try take a picture of her knives when I go back in December.

k.

f you guys have amazon prime or don't mind paying for "The French Chef" episodes, amazon has all of the episodes available. They are free to stream for prime members I have watched a couple of them.

:thumbsup: Good advice doesn't change. This reminds me of being a kid.

me too.. i started wathcing Julia on PBS in black and white when i was about 12 .. tired to imitate her chopping skills and promptly hacked my thumb.. good thing Mom's knives were dull

My mom watched Julia long before me, and she was a Home Ec major in the 70s, so Julia Childs reminds me a lot of my mom, too. I grew up with a set of Sabs and a steel just like that, because Julia told her to!

I love Julia...and Jacques...and Dan Ackroyd...

The old girl knew a thing or two... Puts Gordon Ramsey's onion cutting to shame.

Thanks for the link. I have Amazon Prime but never use the video streaming option. Guess I should see what's available.

Funny that she assumes the viewer has a relationship with their butcher. Takes that for granted. Thankfully I do, but I think I'm in the minority among my friends/family.

Also, I feel like onion soup now.

Great video. why do i get the feeling that if someone posted a video here of themselves chopping onions using that same grip, they'd get made fun of?

(btw, I am not saying that Julia has poor knife skills)

Funny that she assumes the viewer has a relationship with their butcher. Takes that for granted. Thankfully I do, but I think I'm in the minority among my friends/family.

that was probably different at that time

Great video. why do i get the feeling that if someone posted a video here of themselves chopping onions using that same grip, they'd get made fun of?

Because they would. The one advantage to television over the internet is that people with loud, rude opinions are at home, alone on the couch.

Poole.PNGNYC's best butcher.

I've watched Julia in the old French Chef a dozen times. I get'em free at the library. Jacques too. Shrug.

That was great. If I only saw that video years ago I would of never had any questions about maintaining carbon steel knives. Spot on!

Still love this video. Although I still think she needs a Bread Knife. I get sad when she uses her chef knife on bread :(.

not on toast or dry breads. however, i used to have a Victorinox slicer that everyone would borrow to slice bread, cause it worked better than the bread knives. so really, they should be called toast knives, not bread knives.

What a great episode! Complete advice for the beginning knife enthusiast from way back when.

I found myself saying "Oh if she only would say 'get a magnetic knife block'" and ta-dah!! Julia says it.

I wish I saw this years ago.

The Cooking Channel (sister channel to the ugh Food Network) supposedly owns a large number of Julia's episodes from what I read. They were offered the library by someone who had the rights to it in order to preserve the film and they jumped on it. I don't recall if they even paid anything for it - could be wrong.

Last edited:
I always loved Julia and this video brought back memories. Liked when she said a knife should be able to take an edge rather than hold an edge. Those old French carbon knives really do take a good edge. Anybody have any idea how hard they were (RC wise)?

I found myself saying "Oh if she only would say 'get a magnetic knife block'" and ta-dah!! Julia says it.

Really???? I don't remember ever seeing that in all the times I've watched these. Time to get it from the library again. It never gets old. ;-)

I always loved Julia and this video brought back memories. Liked when she said a knife should be able to take an edge rather than hold an edge. Those old French carbon knives really do take a good edge. Anybody have any idea how hard they were (RC wise)?
I would guess mid-50's.

on the sabatier-k site they say their carbons on 54-56, so your spot on.

Back