Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Julia Child on Knives and knife skills

Still love this video. Although I still think she needs a Bread Knife. I get sad when she uses her chef knife on bread .

The incredibly sophisticated Boise, ID <g>
    Not me. Don't own a bread knife. Chef knife works just fine.

Ditto, my Chef knives cut bread great!

-AJ

not on toast or dry breads. however, i used to have a Victorinox slicer that everyone would borrow to slice bread, cause it worked better than the bread knives. so really, they should be called toast knives, not bread knives.

What a great episode! Complete advice for the beginning knife enthusiast from way back when.

I found myself saying "Oh if she only would say 'get a magnetic knife block'" and ta-dah!! Julia says it.

I wish I saw this years ago.

The Cooking Channel (sister channel to the ugh Food Network) supposedly owns a large number of Julia's episodes from what I read. They were offered the library by someone who had the rights to it in order to preserve the film and they jumped on it. I don't recall if they even paid anything for it - could be wrong.
    Last edited by mindbender; 11-27-2011 at 03:46 AM. Reason: grammar... grammar...
    I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates who said: "I drank what?"

I always loved Julia and this video brought back memories. Liked when she said a knife should be able to take an edge rather than hold an edge. Those old French carbon knives really do take a good edge. Anybody have any idea how hard they were (RC wise)?
    It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

The incredibly sophisticated Boise, ID <g>
    [QUOTE=mindbender;60219]

I found myself saying "Oh if she only would say 'get a magnetic knife block'" and ta-dah!! Julia says it.

Really???? I don't remember ever seeing that in all the times I've watched these. Time to get it from the library again. It never gets old. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by deanb View Post
    I always loved Julia and this video brought back memories. Liked when she said a knife should be able to take an edge rather than hold an edge. Those old French carbon knives really do take a good edge. Anybody have any idea how hard they were (RC wise)?
    I would guess mid-50's.

on the sabatier-k site they say their carbons on 54-56, so your spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by bikehunter View Post
    Really???? I don't remember ever seeing that in all the times I've watched these. Time to get it from the library again. It never gets old. ;-)
    More or less... she says "magnetic strip" at 6:20

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ov-bA...yer_detailpage
    I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates who said: "I drank what?"