wet stones for softer steel?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mano

Reaction score
Are my shapton glass stones suitable for the Wusthoff and Costco knives my wife uses? I usually sharpen them with Arkansas stones, which I'd be glad to clear out if they're redundant.

Rough ones. Over 500x grit is a waste of time, just finish them on a hone.

I find that even a 500x glassstone puts an edge polish on it that the knives won't keep long, but it cleans up the edge nicely, and then a run on whatever hone they will usually be subjected to will usually do it.

I agree with Eamon. A highly refined edge on a soft steel won't last, and for some reason just doesn't feel right. I, personally enjoy using my old Henckels chef knife with an edge from a ceramic hone (1.2k).

I agree with Eamon. A highly refined edge on a soft steel won't last, and for some reason just doesn't feel right. I, personally enjoy using my old Henckels chef knife with an edge from a ceramic hone (1.2k).

+1 I stop at 1.2k bester on the one wuesthoff that i've got left and it works just fine.

I have been taking the Wusthoffs up to 1k Chosera, works pretty well. I wouldn't go any finer for these this steel.

I agree. I usually leave a 400-1k edge on these. The problem will be cleaning-up burrs. Good luck with that.

i have to sharpen a wustof for a coworker today. probably just take it to 1200.

I agree. I usually leave a 400-1k edge on these. The problem will be cleaning-up burrs. Good luck with that.

Beston 500, Bester 1.2k. +1 to what Tk said on burrs.

I actually kinda like taking these to a belgian blue hone and get a decent edge for about a day of home cooking.

I actually kinda like taking these to a belgian blue hone and get a decent edge for about a day of home cooking.
Depends on how much refinement is done, what she's cutting and if she knows how to use a steel. A few swipes on the steel and she'll have an instant 500 edge anyway.

Back