Best knife for a BBQ fan

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

welshstar

Reaction score
My best friends have a big anniversary coming up and im thinking a knife as a present, they are into cooking big time and especially BBQ. They do lots of briskets, ribs, etc.

I was thinking something like the JCK original VG10 240 Suji, it would be a great slicing knife for them, the things im considering though are

1 - I understand that Sujis are slicers but do i need to be worried that if they use it for slicing something with a bone, say ribs that it could be to delicate ?

2 - If i do need to worry about what else would you recommend for a slicer ? they also do a lot of fish, particularly ceviches so i was thinking yanagiba but that didnt seem to work with the BBQ

3 - I specifically want something Japanese and sharp, no germans.

Thanks

Alan

I am not as particular as some and it is not japanese, but here is what I have:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Custom-Made...344?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cfbf7ef38

he also sells some bigger ones too. It isnt super high end at all. Why do I like it? It supports a grandpa, is neat looking, has a nice feel considering what it is. It is not by any means a high end knife. But is it durable and comfy in the hand. I know when I BBQ too many hands are on my knife etc. I dont want a chippy, super hard blade with those people. These take a pretty good edge considering the steel etc. It is a great beater than u can feel ok leaving out for the public to use, yet it still performs well. I am considering buying a 10" when he puts one up next time.

Interesting suggestion but they would think im pissed at them if i gave them a grandpa knife as a present !

If they used it, they might not be pissed. I am not saying it is equal to my Itou, Hattori etc, but it is pretty good for that purpose/BBQing

Alan, you've expressed what you want to give your friend, but does your friend even care about Japanese cutlery? Being that I'm a big BBQ fan I'd be stoked if one of my friends gave me 10"-12" bull-nose butcher knife or scimitar. Those are real BBQ knives.

I would say 240 is too short for a brisket slicer, I'd go minimum 270 and for my preferences I like 300. Also, I don't use my suji for cutting ribs so that doesn't matter to me, but if they're careful when slicing it shouldn't be a problem.

Alan, you've expressed what you want to give your friend, but does your friend even care about Japanese cutlery? Being that I'm a big BBQ fan I'd be stoked if one of my friends gave me 10"-12" bull-nose butcher knife or scimitar. Those are real BBQ knives.

They dont care yet !!!

They do like higher end things and although a big butchers type knife is an option its not really the style that would work.

my Murray Carter white #1 270 suji is robust enough that i'd happily carve something with bone in it. i wouldn't use a yanagi for BBQ. i chipped my yanagi on a brisket that was well crusted. the yanagi is great for ceviche, but i bet the suji would be just great too (haven't used it for that).

Thats sort of like the ugly genius that only their mother could love !!

For knife geeks it looks great but for everyone else they would be like couldnt you afford a shun !!!

I would love to have a super duper, dedicated BBQ knife, but the knife I use on most of my bbqed meats is a 9.25" Spyderco chefs knife, i don't worry about abusing it...

Back