Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sharpening scratches

Sharpening scratches

Hi

What is the best way to clean up sharpening scratches please

No comments about not making them being the best way please !!!!

Alan

On a flat blade, you can just use an 8k or better, or use fingerstones for a vex, or even Flitz in some cases...heck, even sandpaper in varying grits.
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

Sandpaper only seems to goto 2500 grit, how would that do on the blade ?

It's a good start if your blade is all miffed up. Sanding in a single direction up a progression will get you to a uniform haze, at least.

I have a Tojiro pro with super soft cladding that had horizontal scratches from a guard, that drove me crazy. I used this technique, and finished on the whetstones, to a nice semi-mirror.
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by welshstar View Post
    Sandpaper only seems to goto 2500 grit
    Sandpaper gets much finer than that. Micro Abrasives

This is a question and not a recommendation, but what about a buffing "pad" attached to a drill with a little chromium oxide on the blade?

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

The truth is that nothing really gets rid of them short of re-sanding the entire blade with something coarser than what caused them. I've tried every trick and found that the hard way is the only way if you want it to look good.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    The truth is that nothing really gets rid of them short of re-sanding the entire blade with something coarser than what caused them. I've tried every trick and found that the hard way is the only way if you want it to look good.
    i learned that the hard way too.

The buffing pad sounds like an easy option but im guessing its not, its never that easy !!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    +1
    Remember, after the bevel is set, a lot of knife sharpening is fundamentally the same as polishing!