Quantcast
Customer Related Question: What Would You Do? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Customer Related Question: What Would You Do?

Dave,

I would recommend him to one of the more "commercial" board makers that is out there if you really don't want to make him another board.

In small business, we face this all the time. There is a theory of rating the customer, ABCD. Even though you treat every one the same initially, you try to nurcher the AB, C is a price shopper, and D, you will spend more time and money to satisfy them, but you will probably lose in the end. Hey, this is a small business. If it is a large business, you can pay someone to deal with a D person. Obviously, this person is a D from all indications. The MO of these customers are they are the "perfect demanding" types, where they can do no wrong and no one can tell them that they are wrong, because the are "perfect". There is a potential this person cannot be satisfied, where he thinks he holds no responsiblity in any of his actions, and it must be the product's fault. If you think this guy is that type of a person, you will probably have to to deal with this sooner or later once you sell him a product.

If you want to make him a board, because money is money, one thing to do, is be up front. Say, hey, what happened in the past was not fair to me as a craftsman and businessman. You blamed poor craftsmanship for things that you did, and spread that all over the interweb. As a craftsman and a businessman, how will I be assured that something like that won't happen again? I am a craftsman, and I stand by my work. If there are any defects, they must be legitimate......

You get the idea. If communications are established initially and the ground rules work out, hey, take his money and make him a board.

If I were you I'd take his money. Maybe shoot him an email saying you hope it goes better than his last one or something along those lines, sort of to show him you're wary about his past and what he did before can't happen again.. If he says fair enough and he'll look after the new one better, do it. You've got a great product and a good reputation, why not take his money? If he's an arsehole again tell him he said he'd look after it and didn't, and you'll know that it would have been easy to tell him to f-off but you saw the good in him

Quote Originally Posted by Pensacola Tiger View Post
    "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me".

Politely decline his business.
    Precisely. From the tone of his reply he obviously hasn't suddenly gotten religion, changed his stripes and adopted a kinder, gentler attitude. Special orders sometimes require a certain amount of patience and cooperative involvement on the part of the purchaser, and you'll never get that from this guy. I hope you decided to politely but firmly kick him to the curb.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by mr drinky View Post
    Well, it might be too late as it appears you have made up your mind, but I would say sell him the board despite the past and make sure to put explicit care instructions in the package. (You may already do this, I forget.) Anyhow, if he actually does recommend you, he will continue to do it, but he may not be telling the truth about this. Regardless, you kind of get him to shut up if he is ever out of line again. What dissatisfied customer is a repeat customer? If he ever takes your product to a forum discussion again, you will have on record that he has recommended you to others and he bought a second board from you. That's enough ammo to make most forum users not trust what he says.

k.
    Quote Originally Posted by chazmtb View Post
    Dave,

I would recommend him to one of the more "commercial" board makers that is out there if you really don't want to make him another board.

In small business, we face this all the time. There is a theory of rating the customer, ABCD. Even though you treat every one the same initially, you try to nurcher the AB, C is a price shopper, and D, you will spend more time and money to satisfy them, but you will probably lose in the end. Hey, this is a small business. If it is a large business, you can pay someone to deal with a D person. Obviously, this person is a D from all indications. The MO of these customers are they are the "perfect demanding" types, where they can do no wrong and no one can tell them that they are wrong, because the are "perfect". There is a potential this person cannot be satisfied, where he thinks he holds no responsiblity in any of his actions, and it must be the product's fault. If you think this guy is that type of a person, you will probably have to to deal with this sooner or later once you sell him a product.

If you want to make him a board, because money is money, one thing to do, is be up front. Say, hey, what happened in the past was not fair to me as a craftsman and businessman. You blamed poor craftsmanship for things that you did, and spread that all over the interweb. As a craftsman and a businessman, how will I be assured that something like that won't happen again? I am a craftsman, and I stand by my work. If there are any defects, they must be legitimate......

You get the idea. If communications are established initially and the ground rules work out, hey, take his money and make him a board.
    +1 to each of these.

And I would make the quote a bit higher than usual. Not to be a jerk, but in response to him being a jerk. A tax for putting up with his nonsense. And if you are on the fence about selling him one, its a win win. Either he buys one at a higher rate, or you have offered to sell him one, it was too rich for him and he declines.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Still Plays With Blocks
    Home Furnishings Capital of the World, High Point, NC
    Well, I went ahead and gave the guy a quote and tried to explain my version of the events. Allowing a board to soak under hot rinning water for 5 minutes is not a manufacturers defect.

So, I gave the guy a real quote, not inflated, not low and he takes my head off saying it is 50% to high so he is 100% sure he will never order from me again. SOme people can't be satisfied and I hope I am through with this guy for good.

Turns out he was a real D of a customer...

At least you know you tried Dave. You tried to see the good in him but it wasn't there

Quote Originally Posted by The BoardSMITH View Post
    Well, I went ahead and gave the guy a quote and tried to explain my version of the events. Allowing a board to soak under hot rinning water for 5 minutes is not a manufacturers defect.

So, I gave the guy a real quote, not inflated, not low and he takes my head off saying it is 50% to high so he is 100% sure he will never order from me again. SOme people can't be satisfied and I hope I am through with this guy for good.
    At least you can say you gave it an honest effort. You took a higher road than I would have. kudos!

i know many makers that have "the list " dont worry about it

Eh, if its too expensive, don't buy it. Your board s are reasonable, imo, abd I'm broke.