Masamoto KS WaGyuto, Mukimono, or Kiritsuke??

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abattoir

Founding Member
Reaction score
Sooooooooo, my tax return has come in and is burning a good hole in my pocket. While I could stand to budget something higher in price the knives that have been itching the back of my brain are a 240 masamoto KS WaGyuto, a 240 Kiritsuke, or a Mukimono.

My current working knife collection consists of the following -
Tadatsuna INOX 240mm
Hiromoto AS 240mm
Hiromoto limited white steel 240mm
Masahiro virgin carbon 240mm
Carter kuro-uchi funayuki 7.2 sun
Suisin Inox petty 180mm
Kikuichi elite carbon sujihiki 270mm
Masahiro stainless sujihiki 240mm
Masahiro stainless petty 150mm
CCK 1303
Dojo parer

I work the line and da a fairly broad range of prep work daily so all of these are workers, and get used on the line 5 days a week. I like to run with one for a week or so and then I'll change it up.

So I ask of you fellow knife folk, for thoughts, opinions, and or suggestions for other possible purchases.

Also if anyone has a KS and could post up some good pics so I could get a better perception of it that would be awesome as well.

What type of cuisine are you working with....?

Based on what you have listed, I'd remove the kiritsuke from the list....
I don't have one, have never used one, and barely have used any true single bevel. That said, they are considered (or reported) to be the most difficult single bevel traditional shape to use properly, and ampong traditional chefs in Japan, you are only allowed to use one after extensive experience using other single bevel knives. IIRC, experienced single bevel knife knuts would recommend you start with a yanagi.

But the kiritsuke looks so freakin cool....

I hope I don't come across as an a-hole, but looks like you have experienced many knives already so you know what you like.

Why do you need to ask us what you should get? We don't know your skills or what you want.

Unless your question was more "is a kiritsuke for me" type question...then it totally makes sense.

Cadillac J - Yeah that was sort of the general direction I was looking in was some input from folks with similar experience as to whether it to behoof me to may try a Mukimono instead of a kiritsuke, or just scrap both ideas and stick with what I know I like..... thx

mikemac - mostly french style with southern influences. Yeah I've read all the same things on kiritsukes, I was just wondering if anyone had any positive light to shed on it. They definitely do look so freaking cool

Back