Quantcast
Special Steel ??? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Special Steel ???

If I'm correct, this is one of 2 specially ordered and spec'd by Tosho. I think I saw the other one the last time I visited the store
    Len

Im assuming this is the other blade http://https://toshoknifearts.com/sh...h-carbon-steel

That looks like the one It was tempting when I saw it and handled it, but the edge profile isn't quite as I would like. Definitely a personal preference thing. Taller from heel to spine than standard Konosuke kiritsuke though, which I think is a good thing.
    Len

It looks very interesting, I might have to go check it out In person tomorrow

Yes, it is made by Konosuke Sakai, the S stands for SUPER, normally they put only put it on their Aogami Blue Super knives allong with the Kanji for "blue". Here it is just Super however, i guess they didnt have a stamp for Togo Reigo. And Len is Correct, this was custom made a little bit taller and with a higher bevel than their usual Kiritsuke

So Tosho says it's made from vintage Swedish steel?. Togo Reigo is certainly British, albeit possibly made from Swedish ore (as was much Sheffield steel of the age). Hmm.

Togo Reigo is a Swedish Sand steel (that's the style) made by the Andrews Steel company in England.

Quote Originally Posted by jklip13 View Post
    Togo Reigo is a Swedish Sand steel (that's the style) made by the Andrews Steel company in England.
    Swedish steel made in England, forged in Japan and sold in Canada. This thing have travelled a lot

and it looks cool!

Quote Originally Posted by jklip13 View Post
    Thanks, that's very interesting.

Sheffield virgin carbon kicks arse for sure, so I have no doubt that this stuff is top drawer.

If what it says on japantool is true, which I'm sure it is, then I really really want a knife made from it. Some one should reproduce it.
    All normal people love meat. If I went to a barbeque and there was no meat, I would say 'Yo Goober! Where's the meat?'.- Homer Simpson