Special Steel ???

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxim

Founding Member
Reaction score
So i have a question for you knife makers.
When i went to Japan i got something very special in gift from my vendor.

It is very rare piece of steel only 1 blacksmith in japan that can forge it or working with it.
It is completely depleted now and i got the last piece of it, it is more rare then Tamahagene and more pricy.

It called "Togo-Reigou Steel"
here are bit info about it http://www.japan-tool.com/tech_knlg/Togo_Reigou_and_Yokoyama_Kunio.html

So are anyone familiar with it ?

IMGP9502.JPG

That is pretty awesome! Maybe get a small glass case and display it with a description? Congrats.

I have not heard of it before. That is cool, and great for you, but I would like to know whats in it.
Del

I am not steel expert at all ! But i will like to know more too

Here what i found

Very rare steel, "Tohgoh Reigo"
This product uses Tohgoh Reigo bought from The Andrews Company, UK in the 1930's. "Tohgoh Reigo" is one of the highest class steels of The Andrews Company, it is a fusion of Japanese Tamahagane and the western steel and it has a high endurance.
Since the production for this steel is declining and it has not been imported recently, its scarcity value is very high.

So no one here ever try it ??

I am currently testing out a 240 Kiritsuke in Togo Reigo, so far it takes an incredible edge but I cant comment on the retention yet

Wow! that's pretty rad Maxim!!
I've seen 70mm planes made of Togo-Reigou listed for $1.3k... Can't imagine what a 240 would run at:scared4:

sure thing, coming up in a couple minutes while i take them

the attachments don't seem to work. i would upload them at a place like imgur.com and then post the links.

If I'm correct, this is one of 2 specially ordered and spec'd by Tosho. I think I saw the other one the last time I visited the store :)

That looks like the one :) It was tempting when I saw it and handled it, but the edge profile isn't quite as I would like. Definitely a personal preference thing. Taller from heel to spine than standard Konosuke kiritsuke though, which I think is a good thing.

It looks very interesting, I might have to go check it out In person tomorrow

Yes, it is made by Konosuke Sakai, the S stands for SUPER, normally they put only put it on their Aogami Blue Super knives allong with the Kanji for "blue". Here it is just Super however, i guess they didnt have a stamp for Togo Reigo. And Len is Correct, this was custom made a little bit taller and with a higher bevel than their usual Kiritsuke

So Tosho says it's made from vintage Swedish steel?. Togo Reigo is certainly British, albeit possibly made from Swedish ore (as was much Sheffield steel of the age). Hmm.

Togo Reigo is a Swedish Sand steel (that's the style) made by the Andrews Steel company in England.

Togo Reigo is a Swedish Sand steel (that's the style) made by the Andrews Steel company in England.
Swedish steel made in England, forged in Japan and sold in Canada. This thing have travelled a lot :biggrin:

and it looks cool!

Thanks, that's very interesting.

Sheffield virgin carbon kicks arse for sure, so I have no doubt that this stuff is top drawer.

If what it says on japantool is true, which I'm sure it is, then I really really want a knife made from it. Some one should reproduce it.

Back