Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why not walnut?

Why not walnut?

Is it maybe too common of a wood? I never see anyone use walnut, and i have seen walnut that either rivals or surpasses the best koa i have ever seen. Also, walnut is a naturally stable wood, and with stabilization, it is IMO one of the best woods out there. I suppose i got curious about this when i started making my stropping boards. I am using walnut, and am amazed at the curl and tones in the woods.
    This is a 4 foot board i am using for my strop(stolen form JohnnyChance's thread) and this i would consider a decent board.

Maybe i am just too curious...

I don't know why it's not more popular. I like working with it, and have used it here and there in the past. You're right, it can be amazing in figure and grain. Don Hanson III sells a bunch of black walnut occasionally over at BF, it seems to get snapped up pretty quick.

It may just have to do with trends in custom knife materials. For a while it was all about stag, now it's all about ironwood and koa. Perhaps for a handle material to be really "hot" it has to be rare or endangered in some way. That's what I like about synthetics. People like 'em, they're more stable than wood, and they're not being harvested rapaciously.

Walnut is great, but it doesn't polish to a high sheen, even when it is stabilized. I have made a number of handles in stabilized walnut and like it a lot, but would take ironwood over walnut for an exhibition grade handle.

However, if you pick your own wood from a lumber yard and plan to make sayas for your knife, it is something to consider, as you get a perfect match on the set.

M

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

I'm with Marko on that one. I like it but I have scratched my head a few times over ho to finish it to what I think it should look like. It seems to remain on the 'dull' side, at least with the tricks I have tried.

Stefan

Tru oil is the magic touch for walnut, i hear. I just keep soaking the stuff in tung oil several times(till it takes no more) and take it to a 2500 grit polish, then several sessions of hand buffing with paste wax. That seems to work out pretty well for me.

I have a walnut handle on a knife. I've tried polishing it up a bit and it is okay. There is also a fibrous, bristly texture to it I can't seem to smooth out completely.

I have a black walnut cutting board and really like it, but because I cut on it most days of the week, I have this idea in my head that it is a bit 'pedestrian' and not for knife handles. I guess it is just a prejudice I have learned because I have experienced this wood mainly as a cutting board.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

I love walnut. I dont like it shiny, especially on carbon blades.

I really love a nice bit of walnut, I've had some fairly fancy target stocks in walnut which i did the finishing on. I love the finish you can get it just takes time from my experience. A high grit finish and many many coats of CCl is what I use on it, little and often, twice a day, cutting it back each time for about a week, then once a day for about 2 weeks. Maybe thats what puts people off using it. Results are gorgeous though.