EdipisReks' knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdipisReks

Founding Member
Reaction score
here are a few of my chefs knives.

click to embiggen

Kochi, Masamoto KS, Shigefusa, Sabatier nogent, Hattori FH, from left to right. all 240mm

here is the Masamoto, post patina

click to embiggen

i'll post more of my knives as the light looks good.

Did you force the patina on your KS? Nice kit.

Did you force the patina on your KS? Nice kit.

i did a light mustard patina, and then butchered a chicken (and some veggies since). it's nice and stable and looks like i've used it for years, which is great. and thanks!

+1 - How come that Shigefusa is so shiny?

Stefan

that Shigefusa is so shiny because i pulled it from a stone and was declared high king. i find that a bright polish, combined with blade convexing, feels best with it.

I love that picture of your chef's knives. In what order did you acquire them? And how is the "new" KS working out? Tough competition for it to see serious board time...

Also, do you use your Nogent very often? (It would appear so from the dark patina, though maybe you forced it.) I keep debating getting one, but now that I have a 240mm KS of my own (and am in talks with Jon about another 240mm), it seems like it might just end up in a drawer/on the wall. I just hear so many accolades for old (or historical in this case, if not necessary "vintage") Sabs. I also worry that I will end up with one of the not quite straight models that apparently ship from TBT from time to time... I suppose if it were too bent for me to fix myself, I could always send it to Dave to straighten out, sharpen up, and rehandle.

i really need to get a pic of my newly re-handled Yoshikane kitaeji gyuto up there.

i've had the Hattori FH for a long time, but all of the other gyutos there are within the last year. i have a bunch of other knives that i've had for longer. the KS is great! i really like it. i use my Nogent fairly often, but i mostly use it when i'm cooking French country recipes, out of pure fake-nostalgia. :) my Nogent chef and Nogent slicer were both perfectly straight, in terms of their blades. i had to bend the tang to straighten the handle of my Nogent chef, but it was no big deal. the slicer is great, very thin. i actually use it more than my Murray Carter suji.

i really need to get a pic of my newly re-handled Yoshikane kitaeji gyuto up there.

Yes, you do. :) Carter suji? Where are the pictures of that? What are we waiting for, fair weather in Cincinnati?

I guess I better just bite the bullet and pick up a 10" Nogent chefs knife. It's too little money to pass up given that I may always regret it a little if I don't. Certainly not necessary given what I have (and will have when I am done with Jon at JKI), but why not.

What size is your Nogent slicer? 10"? I have read glowing reviews of the 6" slicer from BDL on Foodie Forums, however I picked up a 165mm Masamoto petty at the same time as the 240mm KS, so...it would be a pretty gratuitous purchase.

love the pics of shig. how did you get it so polished. less reactive with the shine?

Also, do you use your Nogent very often? (It would appear so from the dark patina, though maybe you forced it.) I keep debating getting one, but now that I have a 240mm KS of my own (and am in talks with Jon about another 240mm), it seems like it might just end up in a drawer/on the wall. I just hear so many accolades for old (or historical in this case, if not necessary "vintage") Sabs. I also worry that I will end up with one of the not quite straight models that apparently ship from TBT from time to time... I suppose if it were too bent for me to fix myself, I could always send it to Dave to straighten out, sharpen up, and rehandle.

It's funny, when I first saw the Nogent line I thought the handle was fugly at best. When it arrived, it only confirmed by thoughts. But once it was in my hand and I was using it.... that handle is amazing! Those French guys knew what they were doing with the Nogents. I would never change the handle on mine, no matter how chincy it looks. (One caveat, my hands are relatively small; I have large palms but short fingers.)

-AJ

That's it, I'm getting one. If I have to have the handle replaced, I will ask Dave to replicate the original with better wood.

One more question: does that ridge at the heel get in the way when sharpening?

love the pics of shig. how did you get it so polished. less reactive with the shine?

i just used wet/dry, and elbow grease. i find it to be quite a bit less reactive, with the semi-mirror finish.

here are a few more of them, including the Yoshikane and the Carter. it was hard to capture the kitaeji in the light i have available (it's more subtle since i refinished the knife, though it glides through food better, so totally worth it), so i didn't bother posting a blade closeup.

click to embiggen

Great picture. The Yoshikane is incredible. Love the handle and the bright finish you put on it.

Will you edit to add the make and size of each of the knives pictured?

i'm outside the edit window, but from left to right: 240mm V2 Yoshikane gyuto, 270mm Tojiro bread knife, 270mm white #1 Murray Carter sujihiki, 300mm Yoshihiro white #2 yanagi, Yoshihiro 210mm white #2 usuba, and a cute little Ikeuchi 120mm white #2 ajikiri.

click to embiggen.

Takeda 240, post re-jiggering. this knife is a bit taller than it looks in the photo, at about 55mm heel to spine.

Another icon joins the ranks over there! Will be curious to hear what you think of it after some board time.

i've owned a Takeda before, a 300mm special edition or whatever from CKtG, which didn't feel right to me at all, as a gyuto. i didn't like this one much when i got it, but that's just because Curtis and i set our knives up in very different ways. after changing the profile a little bit and thinning the tip, i've really liked it for the brief amount of cutting i've done with it. i wish the emoto were a little longer, but it's not a big deal. i like that it cuts as well as my Shig, while feeling different while doing it. my Shig, Yoshi and Kochi all feel quite similar in use (the Kochi used to be a little different, but I had to shorten the blade, edge to spine, a bit due to a chip i put in it, and i ended up re-grinding it in a similar manner to my Shig and Yoshi), with weight and drag through the food being the main differences. that's a good thing, but it's nice having something different. it joins my Masamoto in that grouping. a keeper, i think.

How does your Shige stack up against the Masamoto????? That Shige looks so nice.

How does your Shige stack up against the Masamoto????? That Shige looks so nice.

they are different. in terms of pure cutting ease, the Masamoto, at least as i have it right now, isn't as good, but the profile of the Masamoto is great, and it's very nimble for how long the blade is. i haven't done much with the Masamoto, other than sharpen the factory bevels, whereas the Shigefusa, and Yoshi and Kochi, are convexed and very thin behind the edge.

i've used the Takeda for a couple meals, now, and I've tweaked the profile some more (slightly flattening it, heel to tip, and then thinning to bring back the geometry), and the knife is really great. might be my new favorite.

I have been following your lead for a while now Edipis (KS, Shigefusa, Nogent), but I can't keep up!

I always think of a great white shark when I see a Takeda gyuto. Sweet looking knife. Glad you're enjoying it.

great white shark is a good way to describe the look, i hadn't thought of that! i think you're going to love that Shigefusa!

Back