Rust or microchips in the blade??

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgraeff

Reaction score
Ok so i have my Kono HD 240mm, i usually touch it up every 3-4 days or so, But this keeps happening and I'm not really sure why.

On the edge, not the bevel or blade road, but the actually edge gets like a "rust" spot in various places. I thought at first they were chips, but it just looks like a dark yellow-whitest color and on those spots on the edge it is considerably duller than the rest of the blade.

It takes about a shift at work for this to happen, so its not present after sharpening or using it right away. I will do my best to get a picture of it to post tomorrow but I'm not sure if my camera can focus enough to see it.

I keep my blade dry, and always wipe it after use, i mean i use it pretty much constantly but take good care of it.

has anyone else experienced this?

Nope, but I'm not a pro. My guess is you're being good about wiping your blade except for the edge. Maybe you're concerned about cutting your towel? The other possibility is the edge isn't as well finished and some water, etc. gets trapped in the scratches. Are you sure you've worked out any cracks or chips? If not, moisture could get trapped in there, too.

Funny enough on some other forum I encountered folk who claims having similar problems with his 270 HD. He said there were microchips but with looking into it closer it was just about what jgraeff is describing.

The edge wasnt touched at all yet from new plus the knife was used once. Owner is scared of using it :)

I maybe can get the rust explanation, but why is it "significantyl duller" in those areas, considering fact that those are coming up after short period of time?

Nope, but I'm not a pro. My guess is you're being good about wiping your blade except for the edge. Maybe you're concerned about cutting your towel? The other possibility is the edge isn't as well finished and some water, etc. gets trapped in the scratches. Are you sure you've worked out any cracks or chips? If not, moisture could get trapped in there, too.

That is possible, i will try to make sure and get the edge more, as far as it not being finished i guess its possible i don't really think i ever did chip the knife though. It just appears that way until you look closer.

and ya its really weird but in those spots its really dull, the rest of the edge is fine and sharp.

I have beat the **** out of my HD. Used it hundreds of hours; sharpened it dozens of times. It is definitely not stainless, and will patina rather quickly, just resists rust better than carbon. Water will deteriorate any edge, quickly; this is not specific to the HD, infact it is a rather tough knife (never chipped once).

My HD responds well to regular stropping, maybe thats all it'll take to get the edge back to uniform keenness?

i actually don't have a strop... i think i should get one though. Any cheap recommendations as well as something light i can keep in my bag at work? Also what compound it good for a pro environment?

ive never had this problem on my HD, even if someone else has used it and left it unclean

do you think its the steel or user problematic? still trying to get some pics, i know its not chipping i also apply a microbevel on mine.

You can use paper; it actual works well for constant touch ups....

I've tried just about everything, and I like rough leather with 1 micron diamond for gyutos, but that's purely personal preference. Others may tell you something completely different.

i actually don't have a strop... i think i should get one though. Any cheap recommendations as well as something light i can keep in my bag at work? Also what compound it good for a pro environment?

2 micron silicon carbide. Anything 1 micron plus would be fine though.

I check for chips with my fingernail. Gently run one the tip of one down your edge and feel for hangs. Push and pull cutting paper works as well.

I head about paper, just tape it to the stone and apply the compound to the paper right?

Also here is a pic of the "rust" I'm talking about not really sure what it is, but on these spot it won't even cut paper at all, right below it above the mark it just glides through... weird.

actually i can't upload anymore photos, do you guys know how to delete older uploads so i can add more?

Latest posts

Back