Christmas Present To Myself Advice

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcrano

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I've been thinking about what to get myself for Christmas and though maybe the board could help? Firstly I don't need any knife - in that I love my set and don't feel like I'm missing anything for my cooking (home cooking) needs. But I'm thinking about getting a nice Gyuto for myself for Xmas, so what should I get? I don't want to spend more than about 400 or 500. I want something solid and kind of special. I'm just starting to look so I haven't really narrowed it down, but I've been browsing some of the following makers...

Fujiwara
Suisen - not sure which line
Nenox
Pierre Rodrigue -- if i could afford one
Martell
Takeda

So please let me know if you were in my position what would you get?

For that kind of scratch, you should hit up Del Ealy and see if he has an extra gyuto to sale.

Are those the choices you've narrowed it down to, or did you want more suggestions?

For that kind of scratch, you should hit up Del Ealy and see if he has an extra gyuto to sale.

If you are talking about this Christmas, you might have to go production, though I agree with 99 about Del. He was amazingly fast in getting my knife to me. Fowler usually has some for sale on sites or directly from him.

k.

Regarding time left I think I would have gone for a Carter.

Ie this one:
http://www.cartercutlery.com/japane...uki-medium-thick-ho-wood-handlewater-buffalo-

Then I would go for a wa handle from Darkhoek (who is banned at the moment for posting a wip)
http://*****************.com/2011/11/handle-and-saya-on-hiromoto-sujihiki.html

He got some musk ox horn left for ferrule and some insane burl :) I would have him sent the handle by mail and you can put the handle on yourself. Then you would have a semi-custom knife for less than 500 :)

Mine Carter:
1311102651-bilde-17.jpg

It wouldn't hurt to contact Pierre. That kind of money can go a long way!

There's no rush to get the knife in hand... I can be patient especially if it's in process. These are great ideas... Anyone else?

Shigefusa from DrNaka.

With time not an issue:

1) Del's knives are great cutters with a different shape, very nice to use. (Del may be able to get one out faster than the two listed below, but that all depends on his current AEBL orders - I would guess)

2) Martell Custom, reviews have been positive and they are good lookers too.

3) Take a look at Pierre Rodrigues' site, I'm on his list and they are some of the best looking knives out there.

If time is this year:

1) +1 to Oivind - Carter's knives are great and a custom handle makes them killer.
2) Possibly a Butch Harner Custom (timing on this one I have no clue on). If you are into lasers, I would see what he could do in terms of a gyuto. (then talk him into a group buy as well :)) I have a petty from him and its a great cutter.

If it were me, all my money goes towards customs. I like the fact that I get to control certain aspects of the knife. You get want you want and it will last a great amount of time.

Lefty: Its xmas 2011, not 2012 :)

Haha. I see where you're going with this. In my experience(s), it's well worth the wait. I'm sure a couple of other guys who've tried my Rodrigue Pettysuki can back me up on this one.

That kind of money will get you a nice knife from either Pierre Rodrigue or Stephan Fowler. Both will likely have a waiting list, but in my mind (i own knives from both) thay are well worth waiting for especially if you want to be involved in the development process.

Obviously Butch is also an alternative, i don't know if he has opened his waiting list for orders again...

Yeah Pierre's work is really drool-worthy. Some really cool looking shapes and geometry on a lot of them as well. Dave's gallery also -- and my great experience with him in the past is definitely a good thing as well.

Andrew -- What's so cool about the Shige? I've never gotten to see handle one.

The consensus seems to stick to the North American builders? Just for customization purposes? Anyone else feel free to weigh in. I'm giving myself a while to figure it out. Rather than impulse buy (see: growing up.)

North American makers have a unique kind of offering, something you can't get from Japan, and in a few cases, quality to rival the best in the world. Plus if you live here, you should be buying here first, just my :2cents:.

The Shigefusa is so cool because it is a paragon of Japanese forged cutlery--it is not a design that could be imitated easily via stock removal, it is very well ground, takes delicious patinas, is balanced perfectly, very natural profile(for me anyways) and yes...it cuts like a dream.

Depends on what type of knife

I just got my first real J knife, a Suisin White #2 yanagiba with yew handle, polished spine and no machi from Jon and while I agree that American knives are great ( i have mostly American ) there is something about a great Yanagiba that i dont think the American makers can replicate yet, of course if you dont want a yanagiba its different but you could look at something like a custom Susin White #2 wa gyuto kiritsuke which would run around $380 for Jon and be a fantastic gift to oneself !!

Alan

I have a couple more expesive customs from some of the makers mentioned - they are amazing knives - however, my top performer is, hands down, ma mizuno tanjero Blue #2
http://japanesechefsknife.com/HontanrenSeries.html. It is the perfect gyuto.

I would just like to be annoying and toot this horn again. This knife routinely goes a month between sharpenings where I work. It's just fricking ridiculous. Fit and finish could be loads better. But this knife is sick.

Cool these are some great ideas. Anyone have experience with the Fujiwara?

Fijiwara Kanefusa knives have a long a storied history as revered Japanese swordsmiths. The company can trace it's history back some 25 generations. The most popular Fujiwara cutlery in the western style that they have to offer including the FKM series which is made from Molybdenum Vanadium steel and has a RC of 58-59, the FKS are the same knives as the FKM with dimples and the FKH series which is made from carbon steel and are well regarded for their ability to take a very fine edge.

Blah blah blah

Go custom if you got time :):):):)

I was referring to Fujiwara Teruyasu. But Ovind's point is taken.

Okay so if I go the custome route... I've been thinking of a shape that's more fat in the belly like a Kramer western...as I have more traditional J knives already. How does that sound to your ears gang...?

I haven't tried a Kramer, but lots of guys love them. My biggest concern about copying a shape is that a profile is only part of the equation. If the grind, including the taper, as well as the HT aren't the same as the original, you'll only get a knife that just has parts of "everything going for it". However, it's a good place to start.

Great points lefty. I think that like you say it's just a jumping off point. Just wanted to see what you lot thought of the geometry.

Back