Kitchen Shears Recommendation

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny.B.Good

Reaction score
Any strong feelings about the "best" stainless steel kitchen shears on the market? I would like a sturdy/handsome pair that comes apart easily for sharpening, and am not worried about cost.

Tojiro? Wusthof?

Thanks!

-Johnny

I keep losing the link, but Dave recommends Shuns IIRC. Maybe we can talk him into ordering a few and sending them out to us sharpened...:begging:

Stefan

I just read up on the Shun shears on Amazon; pretty enthusiastic/favorable reviews. I sort of like the "all stainless" appearance of the Tojiro/Wusthof options, but I suppose it shouldn't be a beauty contest (especially since they will live in a drawer and not on a Mag-Blok for all the world to see).

I keep losing the link, but Dave recommends Shuns IIRC. Maybe we can talk him into ordering a few and sending them out to us sharpened...:begging:

Stefan

Not Shun...KAI.....but not for kitchen shears necessarily though, they don't seem to offer break apart all steel options. They make some great shears for the money for almost all other applications.

Not Shun...KAI.....but not for kitchen shears necessarily though, they don't seem to offer break apart all steel options. They make some great shears for the money for almost all other applications.

Bookmarked the KAI site, thanks Dave. I suppose I could use a regular pair of scissors too! Still torn between the Tojiro and Wusthof's however...

I have the Tojiro fully stainless take apart shears. Love em.

I have the Tojiro fully stainless take apart shears. Love em.

That's two votes for Tojiro; one more and I'm sold! Just thought the fit/finish and/or durability of the Wusthof's might be better (based on...nothing really).

Maybe a group buy with rehandling by Dave?

Where there's a will there's a way!
Grind the handles down to a couple of mm thick and attatch scales!

I guess I will order a pair of the Tojiro shears then. And start browsing Burl Source for some exhibition grade Ironwood in case Dave decides to cooperate. ;)

I personally like Joyce Chen scissors. Yeah they don't come appart but they are the perfect size for snipping microgreens and have the durability to cut through lobster and dungenous crab shell. They also come with lifetime warranties and the turn around is typically 2 weeks through the manufacturer. Best part is they fit perfectly in my back pocket for easy access.

Messermeister just came out with their own version recently that I might try too. $7 each and lifetime warranties.

A lot of jewelers use the Chen scissors for solder snips. That implies a bit of durability and sharpness.

I picked up the Tojiro shears last week. Haven't had a chance to use them yet, but they look/feel good. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Tojiro stainless are the best in my opinion, they come apart easy as well for sanitation purposes. Quite sharp as well.

No one mentioned the Messermeister break-apart shears. Dave just sharpened mine and they got top marks from Cook's Illustrated -- the same people that rate knives really high that we don't like. Just kidding. They do pretty good IMO.

I like my Messermeister but you can also get lobster/crab sheers. They are cheap and (gasp) can go into the dishwasher. For $10 you can buy a set every few years and not worry about the dishwasher.

k.

http://www.amazon.com/Progressive-International-GT-3156-Seafood-Scissors/dp/B00112ALA0

Last edited by a moderator:
Bumping this older thread...

Looking to buy shears also and considering getting something cheaper and "semi disposable" or the tojiros.

Anywhere to buy the tojiro shears besides CKTG?

Bumping this older thread...

Looking to buy shears also and considering getting something cheaper and "semi disposable" or the tojiros.

Anywhere to buy the tojiro shears besides CKTG?

Cutleryandmore

Harbor Fright has plastic shears with metal blade inserts, all you would need is some damascus blade inserts and you would be all set!

Back