Paella pan....carbon steel?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sudsy9977

Founding Member
Reaction score
So what is the best kind of paella pan?.....i don't know too much about them......any recommendations.....i got a cheap budget......a friend wants one for Xmas and i wanna get them one they can enjoy......do they make one like those old like french steel pans......Ryan

Geez, that's expensive.

Even Australia has genuine "commercial grade" traditional style Spanish made pans cheaper.

Paella-World-Pan-42s.jpg

Paella World Paella Pan, Original, 42cm thin hi-carbon AUD$35.00

Even the Paella world Pata Negra extra thick carbon steel is only AUD$74.95
http://www.everten.com.au/_search.php?page=1&q=paella

I have yet to cook paella, although I've eaten it in a friend's home. I think that's a pretty neat pan, maybe even for more than paella. Foodservicewarehouse.com has them a tad cheaper, and I've had pretty good luck dealing with them. I'm spending more time cooking in my old kiln shed -- grilling, brick oven, etc, and I might have to add one of these to my wish list. I want to build a fire ring, burning wood, for stir-frying anyway, and this pan would work well on the ring.

In Spain, we use 4 kinds:

1. what we call "polished" steel, your regular carbon steel pan

2. Enameled steel, same as before, but with an enamel coating

3. Inox steel

4. non-stick

if you want to go the traditional route, pick one of the first two, I personally like the carbon steel, 11 inches for 2 people, no need for seasoning.

It seems that La Tienda stocks everything you need, and don't forget that the burner is as important as the pan.

Back