Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changes to KKF

Changes to KKF

Recently we had some issues shed some light on growing problems we're experiencing here at KKF. These forums have taken off wildly which we see as a good thing but with this rapid growth have come problems that need addressing.

One of the main issues is in the interest in KKF as a venue to sell wares by knifemakers, craftsmen, and retailers. We've been approached by as much as 40% more businesses than what you see doing business here. That means that we've turned down 40% more revenue for this site and we've done this to preserve the integrity of what we enjoy here in our little community. Having said that we do not wish to discourage new businesses from coming here, on the contrary - we welcome them, and have just made changes to help welcome in the businessman & craftsman alike but we've done so with some guidelines in place.

These changes give the person seeking to do business here a platform to conduct their business while the forum retains as much of a non-commercial presence as possible. We have introduced two levels of commercial subscriptions that a business/craftsman may select that will allow them to sell their wares. The idea here is to give them a place to do this within certain guidelines and also generate revenue for KKF at the same time. We feel that those wishing to make money here should pay for the privilege just as many of us already do.

See Vendor/Hobbyist Guidelines for more details.

A second major issue was the need to share the power of running KKF with more people.

We started out with the concept of the moderators operating as a team unit where all decisions would go through all of us but with only 4 mods (including myself) at start up, then one having to step down for outside commitments, & another becoming a lot busier in his private life than when we started the forum we found ourselves short handed and yet the forum was busier than expected and this caused a strain.

We brought on JohnnyChance as our first regular mod and he worked out so well that he's been made a SuperMod (along with Ryan) to oversee the entire site.

This week we made a huge leap forward by bringing on 4 new moderators to oversee specific sections of the forum. We expect that this will help to spread the load out more evenly and thus the strain will be alleviated.

Our new mod team will also be tasked with voting on all change (policies, etc) made to the site as well as approving all vendor subscriptions and bannings. What changes are made here will be made by the team versus one or two of us. We expect that this will provide more evenhanded management of the site.

You can see a list of moderators (and vendors) under Site Leaders
    We ask that you please bring problems/concerns to the local moderator of the specific forum first as most issues can be resolved at that level.

I'd like to say to please be kind to the mods - they're volunteers helping to make the community a better place.

I want to give up a BIG to all of the moderators for their help here.

If anyone has any questions or concerns about these changes please feel free to ask or express them here in this thread.

Take care,
    Dave

I think your choice of unkajonet is suspect. Has he ever even posted a pic of a knife?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    Recently we had some issues shed some light on growing problems we're experiencing here at KKF. These forums have taken off wildly which we see as a good thing but with this rapid growth have come problems that need addressing.

We brought on JohnnyChance as our first regular mod and he worked out so well that he's been made a SuperMod (along with Ryan) to oversee the entire site.
    Mike will alwayes be the only super mod! Nothing can Chang that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    You can see a list of moderators (and vendors) under Site Leaders
    We ask that you please bring problems/concerns to the local moderator of the specific forum first as most issues can be resolved at that level.

Take care,
    Dave
    I'm finding the focus of "venders " disturbing. Contributing (non monetary )members and the content they add to the sight is what makes a sight, content is king! Other wise the sight becomes QVC.
    Sad to say that I need to become a knife maker or salsmen to be important around here.

Nice signature url.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

Quote Originally Posted by Chef Niloc View Post
    Mike will alwayes be the only super mod! Nothing can Chang that.

I'm finding the focus of "venders " disturbing. Contributing (non monetary )members and the content they add to the sight is what makes a sight, content is king! Other wise the sight becomes QVC.
    Sad to say that I need to become a knife maker or salsmen to be important around here.

I promise it's all standard software stuff here. I see your point though.

Quote Originally Posted by Chef Niloc View Post
    Colin, I hope to God that you don't really, really feel that way.

I agree with your point about content 100%, but you're already a supporting member, so you know that there are some financial responsibilities that have to be met. This vendor thing is a necessary evil and it needs to be addressed now before it gets out of hand.

I'm trying to work my way through the process as well, and believe me, no decisions will be made without careful consideration on how they will impact the harmony of the forum. Without happy members, it doesn't matter how many paid vendors there are.

Keep the faith!

Dave

BRKT my ass!
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Senior Member/ Internet Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by ecchef View Post
    This vendor thing is a necessary evil
    Fixed that for you.

Site metrics are pretty much transparent these days, and this site's estimated operational costs would, in a perfect world, be easily offset by two or three member subscriptions a month. While I will concede that it's entirely possible Dave is paying much more than that, I'd hardly say it's necessary for him to be doing so.

Vendors want to be here, as it is a chance for them to refine their products as well as sell. I do not think it's practical to entertain the knife knuts here without having vendors onboard. And if they are going to be here, it seems only fair they contribute to the costs of running the site. After all, they compete with the owner of the site

I realy like the mix here, although the slant is much more towards discussions about customs then the run-of-the-mill j-knives that were the primary focus of the other knife BBS. But I like learning about what it takes to forge steel and hammer out a blade.

Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
    Fixed that for you.

Site metrics are pretty much transparent these days, and this site's estimated operational costs would, in a perfect world, be easily offset by two or three member subscriptions a month. While I will concede that it's entirely possible Dave is paying much more than that, I'd hardly say it's necessary for him to be doing so.
    You missed the point. It's "necessary" to work through this now to avoid issues later.

Please work up a presentation on how you would handle this situation and submit it to Dave. Free of charge of course.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Senior Member/ Internet Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by ecchef View Post
    You missed the point. It's "necessary" to work through this now to avoid issues later.
    I got your point, I just took your words and twisted them around so I could wave my own banner, sheesh.

Edit - Removing the rest cuz I keep putting my foot in my mouth. Dave knows everything I have to say on the topic and isn't interested in hearing more, anything else and I'm just being a bully.