Quantcast
c-dawg's stash for sale! - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: c-dawg's stash for sale!

So, yes, the knife is a bit beefier than most, but it's the way I wanted it. I like to keep the tip of the knife on the board and use a 'paper cutter' style action. It takes a lot of the effort away from cutting and allows the weight of the knife to do the cutting.

I first started using this technique because my knives would get so sharp that they would stick to the board, hahaha.

But to properly answer your questions, it feels amazing. Cutting is very effortless and the knife is very comfortable in the hand. My hands are not very big, but I don't hold too much of the handle. The handle is pretty big, but that adds to the balance of the knife, which in my opinion, is very close to perfect.

Wedging only happens with large dense items like butternut squash and if I'm doing thick cuts. Like if I'm doing a large 2" dice of potato, there might be a little wedging, but it's usually not a noticible problem. Sticking is never a problem.

I do not have measurements of the knife at this moment, but I will take them when I get home.

The backyard steel behaves (in terms of sharpening and cutting performance) very similarly to wrought iron. But the black kurouchi finish has beautiful green and purple streaks that don't really come up in the photos. I'll get some photos of the grinds and where the metals meet. there's quite a bit of the core steel exposed.

It's an amazing knife and I've always liked using it, for the short amount of time that I did.

-Curtis

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    You know what Carter cleaver would go for today if you went to him for one? I'd bet a hell of a lot more than what you're asking here. Damn!
    Hmmm, it makes me wonder what my Carter Cleaver, white steel, stainless clad, with a custom iron wood handle, originally commisoned by Andy, might be worth?

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by jaybett View Post
    Hmmm, it makes me wonder what my Carter Cleaver, white steel, stainless clad, with a custom iron wood handle, originally commisoned by Andy, might be worth?

Jay
    More than my car? But then again, a Hiromoto petty may be worth more than my car...

Stefan

Quote Originally Posted by jaybett View Post

Jay
    Six bucks. Plus shipping. To my house.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Ok, dropping prices on BOTH Carters:

Chukabocho (Cleaver) is now $785
    Miroshi is now $1775

Not really desperate to sell, but both come with Continental US shipping included.

Damn it! You're killing me! I'm expecting the email from Karing at any moment: "hey the price on that cleaver just dropped...go buy it!"

Quote Originally Posted by Justin0505 View Post
    Damn it! You're killing me! I'm expecting the email from Karing at any moment: "hey the price on that cleaver just dropped...go buy it!"
    You do like cleavers Justin and don't have a chukabocho -- I'm just sayin'.

But I am on my way to the Virgin Islands so you are going to have to pull that trigger without my moral support

karring
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

Ok, last price drop:

Chukabocho (Cleaver) is now $725
    Miroshi is now $1700

I also have other knives I wouldn't mind selling, like the Yoshikane Blue Steel Yanagi, Moritaka Chukabocho (also thick but has a HELL of a grind), Shigefusa Nakiri and some other ones, too! PM if interested!

That miroshi is sweet. Way too nice a knife for me. I'm not worthy

nobody's not worthy! it's just a knife. although a very very special knife, still just a knife : P

Moritaka Cleaver's price is $325

Shigefusa Nakiri: $200

Yoshikane Blue Steel 270mm Yanagi: $350