• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

c-dawg's stash for sale!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C_Dawg

Reaction score
Hello Everyone! It's been a while, I know!

Just wanted to say hi and check things out. I haven't been participating much in the forums, but I hope to do so once again.

I was thinking, since I do have a bunch of knives that I haven't been using, I might as well contribute to the forums by

offering a few of my knives for sale! Please take a look!

First off, is my Yoshikane Ajikiri. It is made of blue steel with a very beautiful Damascus cladding. The blue steel core

is polished to a mirror finish while retaining the 'mist' look on the cladded metal. I bought the knife a few years ago,

sharpened it, and never used it. Includes saya. $250

Here are some pics:

DSC05963.jpg

DSC05975.jpg

http://www.knifeforums.com/forums/showtopic.php?tid/802184/post/1304833/

(I might be willing to take an offer on the yoshikane yanagi from the first post on the link above)

I've been calling this next knife 'Shigeki's Cousin' in the past, but I've been corrected. Not only was it the cousin of

Shigeki who made this knife, it's his oldest cousin and the current blacksmith for his family. It was Shigeki's master's #1

apprentice.

Here's JWW's write-up about Shigeki: http://japanwoodworker.com/product.asp?

s=JapanWoodworker&pf_id=09%2E003%2E240&dept_id=13258

The core is blue steel at RC64. Knife is fully sharpened and comes with saya with locking pin. I'll take a loss and offer

it at $230.
DSC05960.jpg

DSC05971.jpg

DSC05937.jpg

shigekiside.jpg

Murray Carter 8sun Garden Steel Kurouchi Aogami steel IPNB Chukabocho
Most of the information about this knife is covered in the link below to the post I made about this knife. I love this knife

a lot, but I haven't used it in about 2 years. It's a hell of a knife and it really performs very very well. It will come

fully shapened. $850

DSC00589.jpg

http://www.knifeforums.com/forums/showtopic.php?tid/803928/post/1324781

And now, my last offering comes with a heavy heart. It is my most prized knife:
Murray Carter Unground 8sun Miroshi, Black Ash Burl with Brushed Silver Spacers on Presentation Grade Sanora Ironwood (Fish

Handle)
$1850

DSC05660.jpg

original post:
http://www.knifeforums.com/forums/showtopic.php?tid/771380/post/968953

All prices on knives include shipping to the US continental. Please feel free to ask questions about anything and offers

will be handled on a first-come-first serve basis.

Please feel free to look at my gallery photos: http://www.knifeforums.com/forums/showtopic.php?tid/780631/post/1071278

I will entertain offers on any knife I own. I might say no to some, though : P

Holy crap! Those carters are stunning!

You chould take a closer look at the Mioroshi... the Ura is fully forged (the concave that is), not ground, so it still has the kurouchi finish. Amazing work from a master. I've never seen anything else quite like it.

You chould take a closer look at the Mioroshi... the Ura is fully forged (the concave that is), not ground, so it still has the kurouchi finish. Amazing work from a master. I've never seen anything else quite like it.

yes, it definitely is a hell of a knife. check out the original photos and posts about the mioroshi. the whole concavity was made by hammer and it is amazingly perfect. i wish you could come over to hold it. the knife and the handle are both truely works of art!

oh, also, the ajikiri is SOLD!

Wow, I remember playing with the Carters and am amazed your moving them off. Wish I was better off because I'd take em both :p

Glad to see you haven't fallen off the planet /wave (guess I should wear the chile pants more often to see ya now and again lol)

hahaha what's up DC!

you would love that carter cleaver! it's got a good heft to it but the taper makes it cut like a laser!

hahaha what's up DC!

you would love that carter cleaver! it's got a good heft to it but the taper makes it cut like a laser!

Ya it's a good good one, I'm just to far backwards to get that beauty...

You know what Carter cleaver would go for today if you went to him for one? I'd bet a hell of a lot more than what you're asking here. Damn!

You know what Carter cleaver would go for today if you went to him for one? I'd bet a hell of a lot more than what you're asking here. Damn!

Lol, IFF he will make you one, I have been barking up that tree to no avail.

I just keep looking at those Carters... Both are a pretty amazing deals considering the price / availability of custom work from him now. If I had an unspoken-for $3K kicking around I'd buy em both in an instant. Sadly, the Miroshi is just too far out of budget and too close in functionality with what I already have for me to be about to convince myself that I need it. However, that Chukabocho has been haunting me. Especially considering that I ONLY have 3 cleavers: 2 very thin (ITK Hoss, and CCK1303) and a vg10 meat/bone thing that's closer to a hatchet. The carter sounds like it might fit in nicely between those categories.
So tell me a bit more about it:
-I bet sticking is not a problem with that thick blade and dramatic bevel, but how is wedging? How would you describe / compare the cutting performance?
-I read though your original posts about it, and you mentioned that you asked for 3mm @ the spine, but I couldn't tell if that's what he actually made or not. It looks like it might be thicker. Do you have a measurement?
-From what I read it sounds like the Jigane is made from "mystery" steel that Murray found in his yard that is not very reactive (cool). How thick is the Jigane? Your polish is so darn even that I cant see where the Jigane and Hagane meet. Aprox how far up the bevel is the the junction of the 2?

Thanks for this post, I'm sure that it's resulted in a lot of drool-soaked keyboards.

So, yes, the knife is a bit beefier than most, but it's the way I wanted it. I like to keep the tip of the knife on the board and use a 'paper cutter' style action. It takes a lot of the effort away from cutting and allows the weight of the knife to do the cutting.

I first started using this technique because my knives would get so sharp that they would stick to the board, hahaha.

But to properly answer your questions, it feels amazing. Cutting is very effortless and the knife is very comfortable in the hand. My hands are not very big, but I don't hold too much of the handle. The handle is pretty big, but that adds to the balance of the knife, which in my opinion, is very close to perfect.

Wedging only happens with large dense items like butternut squash and if I'm doing thick cuts. Like if I'm doing a large 2" dice of potato, there might be a little wedging, but it's usually not a noticible problem. Sticking is never a problem.

I do not have measurements of the knife at this moment, but I will take them when I get home.

The backyard steel behaves (in terms of sharpening and cutting performance) very similarly to wrought iron. But the black kurouchi finish has beautiful green and purple streaks that don't really come up in the photos. I'll get some photos of the grinds and where the metals meet. there's quite a bit of the core steel exposed.

It's an amazing knife and I've always liked using it, for the short amount of time that I did.

-Curtis

Hmmm, it makes me wonder what my Carter Cleaver, white steel, stainless clad, with a custom iron wood handle, originally commisoned by Andy, might be worth?

Jay

Hmmm, it makes me wonder what my Carter Cleaver, white steel, stainless clad, with a custom iron wood handle, originally commisoned by Andy, might be worth?

Jay

More than my car? But then again, a Hiromoto petty may be worth more than my car... :)

Stefan

Jay

Six bucks. Plus shipping. To my house.

Ok, dropping prices on BOTH Carters:

Chukabocho (Cleaver) is now $785
Miroshi is now $1775

Not really desperate to sell, but both come with Continental US shipping included.

Damn it! You're killing me! I'm expecting the email from Karing at any moment: "hey the price on that cleaver just dropped...go buy it!"

Damn it! You're killing me! I'm expecting the email from Karing at any moment: "hey the price on that cleaver just dropped...go buy it!"

You do like cleavers Justin and don't have a chukabocho -- I'm just sayin'.

But I am on my way to the Virgin Islands so you are going to have to pull that trigger without my moral support ;)

karring

Ok, last price drop:

Chukabocho (Cleaver) is now $725
Miroshi is now $1700

I also have other knives I wouldn't mind selling, like the Yoshikane Blue Steel Yanagi, Moritaka Chukabocho (also thick but has a HELL of a grind), Shigefusa Nakiri and some other ones, too! PM if interested!

That miroshi is sweet. Way too nice a knife for me. I'm not worthy :)

nobody's not worthy! it's just a knife. although a very very special knife, still just a knife : P

Moritaka Cleaver's price is $325
DSC00216.jpg

Shigefusa Nakiri: $200
DSC05470-1.jpg

Yoshikane Blue Steel 270mm Yanagi: $350
DSC00566.jpg

Back