• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Masamoto KS 270mm Gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vertigo

Slightly Less Hooligan
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know what it is, you know you've been thinking about buying one.

This guy was bought early October (so quite new), has been used extensively in a pro capacity since, and has been sharpened twice (both times by people much better than myself).

280mm heel to tip, about 52mm tall spine to heel. Additional pictures available on request.

(Right Click for Big)

masasale1.jpg

There's a few scratches near the tip from Masamoto's world renowned initial sharpening (haha), as well as some very light scuffs on the blade face and ferrule from casual pro-kitchen abrasion. The wicked blue patina is included free of charge and the edge still has some bite (though it could use a polish at a higher grit or strop to really sing again).

Retails new for $350, I'll ship this guy to your CONUS address for $260, PayPal only, with international shipping possible at a higher rate.

I'd like this please Sir, Shipping to the uk aint too bad.:D I've been meaning to get myself something nice to use for comparison..... and because I want one......This fits the bill nicely, is it in white 2 btw?

Dang! I was just comming back to my office to check my paypal balance to see if I could afford it, but Will beat me to it. Nice snag.

I'm excited, I can't afford any of my own knives:D I'm already thinking of the re-handle though, maybe Buckeye Burl.

Oh thank God... I just saw this and I was going to send a PM if it wasn't already spoken for.

A quick question, why were you selling? Wrong size or another reason?

M

I'd rather have a 240 for home use, and while I'd love to keep this one to serve as my primary prep knife at work, I can no longer trust the environment with anything remotely high-quality.

I have a 240 on its way. Can't wait! I Google "Masamoto" daily. ;)

Congrats on the sale. Hope to see a review posted in the review section.

...I'd love to keep this one to serve as my primary prep knife at work, I can no longer trust the environment with anything remotely high-quality.
That's sad... What changed?

That's sad... What changed?

It's never been a great place for my knives to hang out in the first place (I've told countless horror stories), but the limitless sense of entitlement with which the owner and his owner-children carry themselves has broken the camel's back. On Wednesday one of the children took the Masamoto down from the shelf where I was storing it (despite there being a rack full of house knives within arm's reach), pulled it from it's saya, and used it to cut up an apple and some oranges. He then left it sitting in a puddle of fruit juice, and walked out of the kitchen while I excused myself from the line in the middle of a rush to go reclaim it, wipe it off, and put it away again. Not the worst transgression in the world, but incidents like that are a daily occurrence and I'm just getting tired of trying to keep them from hurting my knives.

Trying to educate them on the proper care of carbon, and the respect with which you handle another man's knife, has been a losing battle. So I'm giving up. Haha.

I'd love to keep this one to serve as my primary prep knife at work, I can no longer trust the environment with anything remotely high-quality.

I know the feeling. I have a 240 KS and its fine tip is a nightmare in terms of other people knocking it off the bench or sticking the tip into metal pans. The tip on mine has been broken a little about 3 times now due to other people being careless. Another thing. Don't bring a carbon 210 petty into work. It is the perfect size for other people to grab and use, and of course they never wipe it

I know the feeling. I have a 240 KS and its fine tip is a nightmare in terms of other people knocking it off the bench or sticking the tip into metal pans. The tip on mine has been broken a little about 3 times now due to other people being careless. Another thing. Don't bring a carbon 210 petty into work. It is the perfect size for other people to grab and use, and of course they never wipe it

Heh. One day I brought my Misono carbon in to work and left it overnight, in it's cardboard saya, stored in the back room, on a shelf fairly out of sight. The next day it was hanging from a mag strip in the kitchen with a few big spots of rust. I was super excited.

:surrendar:

This is precisely why I never leave my knives at work, or in a place where I can't keep an eye on them for that matter. Too many knuckle heads.

Hey, are you working at the Stock Farm? Talked with the chef at Flint Creek Ranch, when I was up there...that place is awesome and truly five star...

No sir, just a breakfast cook in a greasy spoon. Though we aren't five star, we do consistently win "Best Breakfast" in the annual region-wide competition, and are one of the busiest restaurants in the area.

So that's something I guess. :jumpy:

I have a magnetic knife rack in my kitchen with only my nice knives. No one dare touch them anymore, as I had a camera installed. (only $50 to add to existing system) I can watch from my cell phone!

Just to sort of reaffirn what I said before, I sharpened and thinned my Hattori last night and it was performing magnificently in work today. I was really happy with it, I had went pretty much a whole day in work without needing to strop it or touch it up at all. So I was very upset when my colleague went to lift his cup of coffee and knocked it onto the floor and the edge is pretty much serrated now :eek2:

That is an absolutely spectacular patina. Is there anything particular you did in developing it? I've read that cutting through beef helps with that electric blue, but what was the case with that knife?

Also a little bummed that I missed it, but glad that it went to who it did. Hey Will: sign me up for a Willamoto please!

Got this today, hooray. Love it, Gona see how it likes my sigma 13k and chop some stuff on the morrow. Thanks Vertigo, i'm a happy lad.:biggrin:

Back