Quantcast
Shaving with straight razor?? Newbie Help - Page 2
Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Shaving with straight razor?? Newbie Help

When starting out it is best to get razors that are shave ready, it just saves you time and frustration at getting started. However some of you may be like me and don't listen or follow advice as closely as one should... or just impatient to get into it lol. My first razors where ebite specials and I worked on them for a long time only to find I was comming up short. Sure my knife sharpening skills helped me greatly at learning to hone a razor but that was only the begining of the whole learning curve for honing. Once I got a truely shave ready razor I was able to see the difference between my work and where it needed to be. I quickly was able to get my blades where I wanted them. That is why we always suggest getting shave ready razors first, so you know where a blade needs to be and how it feels when shaving.

Once you have gotten used to shaveing with a straight and you start working on your own edges, as I'm sure most of you will, you will basicly start all over again... Straight Razor shaving is not only a life style but an art in the sense that there is no one way to do it all. Everyone is different and how they shave, hone and choose equipment is all different. You will start noticing that your attracted to different aspects of shaving and you'll notice the slight variations in all the equipment. These things are not important when starting but will later when you have it figured out.

One such example is in finishing stones or the use a pastes and such on leather. You will notice a distinct difference between a shave off Cr02 vs diamond paste, natural stones and synthetic stones. None of these are right or wrong, it's personal preference... Remember that "Art" thing I mentioned

I'm hoplesly addicted to vintage blades, I only own 1 "new" razor, all the rest are vintage blades and most came off ebite or antique shops. Buying these kinds of razors is problematic at best as you never really know what your getting till you get it home and work with it. Antique shops are the best places to get your hands on a blade before you buy and this cuts down the risk. However you still have to know allot about what you buying to or your going to buy allot of paint scrapers... And there is just to much info needed to know for me to list here.

Lynn's DVD is really the best "insurance" you can get for starting out. Lynn goes over just about everything you need to know when starting out... but watch out for the part about his collection... most people who suffer from RAD caught it at this point in the dvd

There is much good info already posted above, and with Rick's links you should be able to get an idea of what you need to start.

Aslo if you would like to PM me with questions, feel free I've been shaving and maintaining my own razors for about 7 years now and have more than I can count, but not more than many lol. My collection is 99% user only razors.

I shave with a straight razor but started out with a shavette from ebay for like ten dollars including shipping. It is a straight razor with replacable blades. I used it for a month or so and decided I was interested enough to take the plunge and get a straight.

This is freaky timing. I've been badgering Rick about straights ever since about August, and now, with me needing a smooth as possible face for my SCBA, I'm about to take the plunge. Rick and I were talking just last night about my first steps to a smoother face and a sharp addict's dream.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

I can't recommend SRP enough it is a great source of info and a great bunch of guys. Actually the guys over there recommended this fine forum when I started to get into kitchen knives. I would buy from straight razor designs or the classifieds on SRP for an initial set up then you can start gambling with flea markets and eBay. It certainly takes time to become proficient but it is well worth the effort.

Quote Originally Posted by DwarvenChef View Post

Lynn's DVD is really the best "insurance" you can get for starting out. Lynn goes over just about everything you need to know when starting out... but watch out for the part about his collection... most people who suffer from RAD caught it at this point in the dvd
    1) I skipped "Lynn's Collection" on the DVD so I wouldn't get too addicted. I do find myself looking at stuff on ebay every couple days.

2) I think this is a must for everyone. Get Lynn's DVD. He goes through just about everything.
    The first time I used my "Emil Voos" (from whippeddog) I dropped it and had a nice small chip in the bottom. I would have been lost without the DVD. Lynn talked about chip repair, then sharpening and finishing. It still took me about 4 hours to fix, but its now "shave ready" and close to my "Dovo" from Lynn.

Had my best ever shave today - not BBS - but its well on its way to getting there!

Alright, I'm hooked! I have a razor coming, got the soap, figuring out which brush is good for me and I'm already thinking about how to put new scales on a straight razor. Oh yeah, I'm looking at strops too.
    Thanks Rick
    09/06

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    Alright, I'm hooked! I have a razor coming, got the soap, figuring out which brush is good for me and I'm already thinking about how to put new scales on a straight razor. Oh yeah, I'm looking at strops too.
    Thanks Rick
    That slab of Cocobolo is gonna make some killer scales!

What razor did you get?

I have a Böker King Cutter coming my way. It was recommended and I've read nothing but great reviews on it. Now I need to talk my boy Pierre into making straights!
    09/06

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    I have a Böker King Cutter coming my way. It was recommended and I've read nothing but great reviews on it. Now I need to talk my boy Pierre into making straights!
    When Pierre gets done with my knife you can start that conversation! No need to make a busy man even busier . Although with Pierre's handle work I think a straight from him would be killer.

Congrats on the straight. Most Boker's get great reviews. Now starts the learning process / bleeding / feeling great.

Some links to lynne dvd and not at least what you guys buy would be nice.
    Im starting up after xmas, cause now its to much pressure on work

Need to know where you buy and what you buy