Completed Konosuke Duo

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just got my Konosuke special order 210mm wa-petty from the Fedex guy and thought I'd share some pics. This petty takes the spot of my Suisin 240mm suji (which now hangs out in my kitchen as my main house-knife). I'm pretty stoked to get it to work tomorrow and give it a lengthy test drive. As always I sanded the ebony and horn with 400 grit wet/dry paper + massaged with Dave's boardwax for a sexy smooth feel....wowza! I'm not sure why, but when I transfer pics to Flickr they are looking real washed-out lately....

6406846327_b9b2549eab_b.jpg

6406846747_c81872db7d_z.jpg

6406847551_3a169d5b2c_b.jpg

6406847999_fcb5b93af1_b.jpg

6406848739_90fff6c110_b.jpg

Great combo!! I have the Kono petty and really like it. :knife:

Is the 400 grit a finer or coarser finish than stock?

Is the 400 grit a finer or coarser finish than stock?

I'm not sure what you mean here by "stock". It's agressive enough to erase any difference in height between the ebony and ferrule, but doesn't leave any visible scratches. The end result is an almost seamless feeling connection (I can run my nail down and not feel it catch where they meet). I also finish with a very old piece of scrap wet/dry paper that's pretty smooth to polish the handle a bit before adding the boardwax. Takes around 20-30 min to do. Feel free to PM me if I'm not understanding your question :)

I appreciate that answer, too. I was trying to ask if the finish now has the same luster as the original "stock" finish. If not, is it more or less "shiny?"

I appreciate that answer, too. I was trying to ask if the finish now has the same luster as the original "stock" finish. If not, is it more or less "shiny?"

I'm a little confused as well because the ebony handles from Konosuke that I have is finished and 'sealed' very well so it doesn't even feel like wood, so I would never want to touch sandpaper to it. The ho wood or magnolia handles are a completely different story though...as far as feel goes, I actually prefer my stock wood handles on my white#2s than the ebony I have on my HD.

as in this picture, you can see the difference in the colors of the handles. i have never sanded them and to treat i always do the same thing. alternate 4 hour periods of rubbing orange oil and mineral oil until they do not hold any more. then i use my homemade mixture of wa-wax and let that sit overnight. those konosuke ebony handles just take some time with the natural oils in your hands and whatever treating you would like to do to get darker. in the picture below, all three of these knives now look exactly the same as the yanagi.

604.jpg

596.jpg

Wow Snips, amazing photos!
TK59...there is a thin shiny laquer on both the wood and horn. I'm just really anal when it comes to finishing (no weird sexyness intended), so I sand them to my own specifications on how I'd like them to feel. After soaking with boardwax and buffing, both horn and wood look fairly shiny and repel water. Of course this pretty shine gets dulled a bit when I take it to work, get raw pork all over it and have to wash with soapy water. I imagine I'll have to oil/wax them down every week or so.

Latest posts

Back