How to bone out a deer in 8 minutes...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kentucky Jeff

Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xijmge8_NJw

This guy obviously is a pro. My technique is a little different and it takes me about a half an hour. I hang the carcass head down and remove the front shoulder/legs. Everything else is cut off the intact skeleton and when its done its just a hanging skeleton. I like how he fileted the meat off the brisket up through the loin. I approach it from the centerline on the back but might try it from the brisket up next time. Oh yeah...and I use a Hankotsu...:biggrin:

Holy crap! I could have used his help, I got 5 cut up, 5 to go... Been a great season! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xijmge8_NJw

This guy obviously is a pro. My technique is a little different and it takes me about a half an hour. I hang the carcass head down and remove the front shoulder/legs. Everything else is cut off the intact skeleton and when its done its just a hanging skeleton. I like how he fileted the meat off the brisket up through the loin. I approach it from the centerline on the back but might try it from the brisket up next time. Oh yeah...and I use a Hankotsu...:biggrin:

super fast! Also what part of KY are you from? Im in Lexington!

Obviously its the hook thingy. If I had one of those hook thingys I could cut meat that fast... ;)

It looks like he's done that a few times.

That was really cool. I've never deboned a whole animal other than small birds, so it was damn educational to watch. Gotta say it reminds me of my old biology and anatomy classes :)

I really don't know the names of many of the cuts, but I do know the proper names of many of the muscles, so seeing the animal being taken apart lets me put 2 and 2 together. "So the f'n loin is the erector spinae!" At least it looks like it.

But I just have one "concern" left at the end of the video - what about all the good intercostals, the meat in between the ribs? I hope that doesn't go to waste - it's good eatin' there too.

The meat between the ribs on a deer isn't significant. You MIGHT get another pound or two but its got a lot of connective tissue in it. Its still fine for burger/sausage. But its a lot of work for not a lot of gain.

The hams and the loin are where you get the prime cuts. The big muscle on the front side of the ham is the sirloin. The two big muscles off the rear are to top and bottom round. Also some trim meat in there. Once you clean those prime cuts up and remove the silver skin etc you have some prime venison. I usually butterfly them into 1" thick steaks. The loins I cut into 5 or 6 inch long pieces and grill them whole medium rare and slice thin. Its superb eating with just some olive oil, good coarse salt and cracked pepper.

Amazing amazing.
that guy is done before a single fly gets a whiff.

Before I watched the video I thought the guy only had one hand and a hook for the other. Anyone recognise the knife? Looks pretty unremarkable to me. Hate it when you watch videos like this and the people are using pretty cheap knives, if they were using some crazy expensive one it would make you feel a bit better

Having processed maybe a 100 or so deer over the years, I was really impressed with how clean his bones were. Mine always seem to have a little meat still on them comparred to the video. I also take a lot longer to finish the job but then I only average 2 or 3 deer a year. Hard to get that good without practice.
I'm guessing the knife was a Victorinox but it could have been any one of of a number of other meat packer brands.

Last edited:
From comments on Youtube: " forschner 40017".

He is amazingly quick.

that's almost incredible. clearly A LOT of experience there.

I'd love to have more experience with whole animal butchery, but being in a family of two, but with one vegetarian and a very small freezer, i don't see that happening anytime soon.

That is awesome, and I need to get me a meat hook asap

I usually butterfly them into 1" thick steaks. The loins I cut into 5 or 6 inch long pieces and grill them whole medium rare and slice thin. Its superb eating with just some olive oil, good coarse salt and cracked pepper.

last time kelly and i did the loin (about 1/4 her total deer loin) we bacon wraped and grilled and had snow crab legs made for a rocking redneck surf and turf
252104_1723961669496_1551997027_31383945_927596_n.jpg
here is the beast that it came off of 227808_1693659631964_1551997027_31345815_2233613_n.jpg

Maybe we could get Devin Thomas to make up some of those Damascus Hook thingys... ;)

Impressive! Do they have a "shotgun only" rule in Wisconsin for deer like they do in Ohio? I ask because the deer in this video and a couple in the skinning video all looked like that had been blasted with buckshot.

Impressive! Do they have a "shotgun only" rule in Wisconsin for deer like they do in Ohio? I ask because the deer in this video and a couple in the skinning video all looked like that had been blasted with buckshot.

Depends on the area... but for the most part, rifle is legal (and most popular) in a large part of the state.

Broke down, and packaged three more tonight, and thus wraps up a successful hunting season! I wish I had the skills of Mr. Butcher in the video! Had to watch it again...

Back