Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bandsaw Help

mike, I rece tly asked the same question of my friends around here, and they recommended a DeWalt portaband with an attachment to hold it upright with a table. swagoffroad.com has the attachments.
    Tom Gray, Seagrove, NC

wait are you wantig to cut wood or steel that can make a big differance in tools cause of SFPM on the blade

+++++ to LR...it is an absolute fundamental necessity to determine SFPM based on material. This should have been qualified from the start. This is why I use 2 different saws 1) for wood and 2) for metal, even then the variables must be accurately calculated to achieve the best results. I guess the better answer would be a question...what is it you want to cut? The portable may not run fast enough for some materials and the 10-14" may not go slow enough for others. I really wish I could afford the Bob Loveless method and have one saw, drill press, mill, grinder, etc. for each application that way one doesn't have to do tedious calculations and adjustments. Actually, (if I remember correctly for a saw) the simplest method is one published in a machinest bed side reader that says something to the effect of, keep a minimum of 2 teeth in the material at all times and feed as fast as the blade will cut. For some this has become intuitive due to repetitive practice but to others it is an ongoing WIP.

OOOPPPPSSS....should have also put SFPM= Surface Feet Per Minute which is a calculation of feed rate that machinest use which for a band saw can be refernced here:
    http://vintagemachinery.org/math/sfpm.aspx

Thanks, so far for the information guys. I will be cutting wood.

The only advise I can give on this subject is to make sure that you can get the blades you want easily in the size the machine you're planning on buying uses.

Touch wood I seem to have been pretty lucky on that little dewalt bandsaw I bought second hand. The blade's that came with it seem fine and it cuts straight. There a bit of a rip off new though I would say.