Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Christmas Gift

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    Welcome Stace!
    Thank you! I feel very lucky to have people helping me out!

Quote Originally Posted by sachem allison View Post
    welcome!
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by ecchef View Post
    Stace! Where are you from, if you don't mind me asking?
    I'm from Edmonton, AB, Canada. It's not as cold as I would like for it to be right now!

Quote Originally Posted by welshstar View Post
    Stace

I think the first thing is pick western handle or traditional japanese handle. You said general purpose so i would suggest a gyuto, next thing is size, 210 is small, 240 is about right and 270 is probably to big for first knife. Therefore a 240 mm Gyuto would be ideal. Dont want to state the obvious but you are aware that most Japanese knives are designed specifically for right or left handed people.

If you pick the western style the following Kanetsune is a great knife, it comes incredibly sharp and is very well made for $149, i have the 210 version and it is a great knife that equals others ( kikuichi ) that sell for double.

http://japan-blades.com/category/che...le/gyuto/240mm

http://japan-blades.com/chef-knives/2542.html

If you pick the Japanese handle I would suggest going with the knife tk59 suggests, the Inazuma is a great value knife. As a western alternative you could also look at the Gekko line from JCK, im not sure how they would compare to the Kanetsune, maybe someone else could add here.

For a first knife I would not get to caught up in the steel type, as long as you keep in a stainless finish of some type you will be fine.

Alan
    I'm very glad that you stated the obvious- I was figuring it out pretty quickly when I would go to see the ordering procedures and they asked if it was for left hand or right hand. But with this in mind, I will be extra careful when ordering.
    One question that I have is what is the big difference between the western handle or the japanese handle? I like the look of the japanese handle, and I think my husband would as well, but of course, I would also like to be thinking of performance! Thank you so much for the recommendations! And not worrying about the steel has made me feel much better! I think I have some more searching to do!

I find the japanese (or "yo-handled") style to be my preference both functionally and aesthetically. Something about the design makes me want to relax my shoulder, loosen my grip and push-cut. I say give them a shot

Stace

Im not experienced enough yet to pass any judgement on the merits of western via japanese handles, im still working through that process myself.

I would suggest finding a store in your city that sells japanese knives and try a few out for feel. If you want to make this a surprise I would not be to concerned, both styles are functional, if you go japanese i personally prefer the darker woods like the Inzamuna handle but that is strictly a personal preference.

Alan

Thanks Alan!
    I'll keep all of this in mind!

Quote Originally Posted by macmiddlebrooks View Post
    I find the japanese (or "yo-handled") style to be my preference both functionally and aesthetically. Something about the design makes me want to relax my shoulder, loosen my grip and push-cut. I say give them a shot
    I think this is a typo. "Yo" describes the regular/Western style handles you see on popular German knives such as Wusthof/Henckels, "wa" describes Japanese style handles (usually octagon or "D" shaped). There are many threads on this Stace, here and elsewhere. Google "wa vs. yo handle."

I purchased my first Japanese style knife several months ago, and opted to order it with an octagon shaped "wa" handle (having never held one before, this was a leap of faith). I liked it immediately; it feels nimble and light. If you like the looks of the "wa" style and think your husband would too, give it a shot. If he really doesn't like it, you could always have a custom Western handle put on the knife (though this might cost as much as the knife itself). Ideally he should go to a store like Williams-Sonoma or Sur La Table, pick up both styles, and see which one he prefers (except this would ruin the element of surprise).

Good luck with your decision. I'm sure your husband will be pleased and excited no matter what you choose.

Thank you! I will google the two different handles! I do want this to be a surprise, so I am taking a leap of faith as well! I do think the traditional japanese handle does look beautiful, and I'm hoping that my husband will have the same experience as you did- that it will be a perfect fit!
    Another question that I have though is what is a reputable website that I can order the knife from? I've been looking at Japanese Chefs Knife.com, which is where I was sent to when I went to some of the links that other people posted. The site seems to be really excellent and the prices seem to be reasonable. The one thing I'm concerned about is shipping, since I live in Canada.
    So basically, I was just wondering if there was anywhere else that I should be casing out!
    I actually never knew how much deliberating went into a purchase like this, but I am really excited to see his face on Christmas!

I don't know of any large retailers in Canada. I'm sure everyone with a website in the US/Japan will ship to Canada...for a price. Someone here will undoubtedly have a good suggestion or two. You might email/phone Jon Broida, who is the owner of Japanese Knife Imports. Extremely knowledgeable guy, great website, top notch customer service. I purchased a couple of sharpening stones from him a few weeks ago and each one arrived wrapped like a little present (bubble wrap sleeve, black tissue paper, and fancy box with a handwritten thank you note). He is also a member here. You could send him a PM with what you have in mind and your budget and see what he says. Other sites that are fun to browse and have a large selection include Japanese Chefs Knife (which you have seen), Chef Knives to Go, The Epicurean Edge, and Aframetokyo. Of course there are many more. Another thing to consider is how your husband will keep the new knife sharp, which is a whole separate issue. Does he sharpen his own knives now? Send them out to a professional? If you can spend a few minutes, it might be worthwhile to fill out the "what knife should I buy?" questionnaire (http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...should-you-buy) and post it as a new thread in the main forum here. You will probably get a large number of good ideas from the many members here that are smarter and more helpful than me!