Quantcast
Is it me, or is it the usuba?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it me, or is it the usuba?

Is it me, or is it the usuba?

I'm getting really frustrated with my econo-usuba. Yeah, I know the usual advice about not buying lower-priced usubas, but I got this thing really early on before I knew any better.

About 2 weeks ago, I figured I'd give the thing a proper sharpening - something I hadn't done on it before. Sometime towards the end of my routine, I decided to check on the edge itself and lo and behold it was like the McDonald's Golden Arches. I had an M-shaped edge profile going on with three points of contact and two slightly arched indents. No freakin' wonder I kept getting accordions with this knife when I used it before! I kept thinking it was just because I was using an older board that might not have been totally flat.

I spent a fair bit of time on some coarse stones thinking I could just work it out. No such luck. Even with a fair bit of metal and stone abraded away, it was still Golden Arches City.

That was 2 weeks ago. Tonight, I figured I'd try fixing the darned edge if I could. This time, I touched up the uraoshi a bit (because I'd worn enough metal away before that there was practically just a hair's breadth left) and then stood the knife on its edge. With the edge right on the Beston 500, I just flattened out the edge that way. Then I proceeded to put on a new, sharp edge on the knife.

At first, I kept checking the edge straightness, and it was a-ok all through my time on the Beston. Then I just continued as usual through the rest of my progression. Finally, after the finishing stone, I checked the edge again... and freakin' hell, I got the M-shape again.

Was it me? Was it the knife?

To try to put my mind at ease, I put a mioroshi deba through the whole sharpening routine. It was a second-hand knife and it had a few nicks in the edge that I wanted to take out. I went through from coarse up to finishing and everything was a-ok. Edge profile maintained, and it's nice and sharp.

What gives with the usuba then? Why is that the only knife that I can't sharpen properly? Is it me or is it the econo-usuba?
    Len

Gotta be the blade. Something wacky there.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Your blade road isn't even. You probably have two major overgrinds in the bevel that will need flattening out. Such is the hazard of the cheap usuba.

the blade road not being even is my guess, too.

actually under and overgrinds arent the most likely problem... having a not straight blade is... i would say about 75% of the time people think the problem with their usuba is a grind issue, its actually a blade straightness issue

Would blade straightness produce the three points of contact as described? I suppose I'm assuming the ura is flat in this case, which made me assume a grind issue.

Hmm... I didn't notice any lateral waviness when looking down the edge from tip to heel. I also didn't see Abu obvious high-low zones in the blade road based on color and tone.

I'll take a deliberate look for lateral unevenness when I get home later.
    Len

Quote Originally Posted by dmccurtis View Post
    Would blade straightness produce the three points of contact as described? I suppose I'm assuming the ura is flat in this case, which made me assume a grind issue.
    it very well could

I was gonna say your stones aren't flat, but if the deba does ok, sounds like a poorly made knife.

Hopefully I am wrong but it could be your sharpening style too, I messed up an usuba and a muki learning how to sharpen the straight edge knives and a change of pressure or lack of even attention to on spot on the knife leaves those damn M shaped grinds. I used to get one about an inch from the tip and another one about an inch down from the middle, after a while I noticed I would spend significantly more attention on those two spots and very little at the heel producing the M shape. This problem was WAY more noticeable on straight edges. After checking my gyutos they to had an M shape that was very slight and didn't really produce a negative effect, but definitely a problem with what used to be my sharpening style.