Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do we continue to cook professionally?

Senior Member/ Internet Hooligan
    I do it for the money.

I've been at it for 17 years now and have a rock solid skill set that can land me a job anywhere I end up. Even though I echo some of Brian's sentiments--that I'm getting more and more tired of cooking the same bs for the same group of people--at the end of the day, switching careers at this point in my life would mean a pay cut and some serious re-education. And if I loathed the work, maybe it'd be worth the effort. But for me, cooking professionally is easy as hell, the money is good, and the occasional "glimpses" of what I really enjoy make it hard to walk away.

17 years of surveying for me, with days like today (-45 wind chill) I wish I persued a chef's rateing back in the day...

Feel free to visit my website, http://www.rodrigueknives.com
    Email pierre@rodrigueknives.com

I was a cook (no way I'd use the term chef) for about 3 years. I still have nightmares of orders backing up and 30 steaks on the grill. No one back there but me to prep, cook, and plate. Can't imagine why anyone would do that to themselves day in and day out

That's funny Monty.I'm in my 40's and I couldn't imagine doin anything else.Twenty plus years in restaurants,clubs,and catering there is NO way I could ever work a desk job

I've also been cooking "professionally" for 20+ years and although it gets harder every year I can't imagine doing anything else. I think it's in our blood,what's left of it.We love food and we love to cook what better job is there?

Its funny, I have done it all from dish to cook, management for the last 5 years and my most recent foray is into corporate training. A few times a week I get a yearning to be back in the kitchen. I simply feel more at home there. But one thing is for certain, I would take the kitchen over the front any day of the week if I had the choice.

I used to be a computer guy. It was a great job (pay, benefits, co-workers, etc), but ultimately, fixing someone's computer didn't really give me much satisfaction. No matter how hard I worked or how well the computers ran, it was hard to see how it related to the success or failure of the company.

Six years ago, I made the switch and so far, so good. It was a tough transition financially, but I streamlined things a lot. I see how people like the food I prepare. I see how my work has contributed to the success and growth of the restaurants and caterers for which I have worked. I also like that especially in catering, we participate in special events in peoples lives, rather than fixing something that's not working. I also feel comraderie with cooks.

But my satisfaction definitely plummets when we have to cook for ungrateful, unappreciative know it alls or wannabe foodie blogger types.

~Tad

I've given it up. I used and abused myself, seriously affected my health. Lived like a hermit except for my' working' family. It took me until I was 49 y.o. before I got married, and everyone was suspicious, whats wrong with a guy wo is 50 and never married. My Mom told me my Dad thought I was gay!

I did it because the act of eating wonderful food thrilled my soul. I enjoyed the adrenaline high, I am a social misfit and there I barely fit in. I was good at it, I had an affinity for cooking.

In the end, I burned out. I no longer can stand for 12 hours without my back freezing up. The stress might induce a heart attack. I have arteries like an 80 y.o. and they loaded me up with stents so I could walk more than a (short) block. I have chef's block - everything has been done and I can't think of something different to make my own. I draw a blank when I see Top chef like challenges.

I dearly want to send in a tape to Top Chef, but my wife would kill me if I left her for 6 weeks. I used to dream about cooking now I have nightmares.

I don't know anything else that makes me happy. I am sick and tired of the crap that goes on.

I am Chef, have pity on me, and envy me!
    Bert M.

Why?! Because footballs don't have wheels!

I mainly cook becasue i love to do it. Theres always ups and downs, and good days and bad but I do it day in and day out because i love to cook and make people happy. I coulnt imagine myself doing anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by tweyland View Post
    **Snippy******
    I see how people like the food I prepare. I see how my work has contributed to the success and growth of the restaurants and caterers for which I have worked. I also like that especially in catering, we participate in special events in peoples lives, rather than fixing something that's not working. I also feel comraderie with cooks.

But my satisfaction definitely plummets when we have to cook for ungrateful, unappreciative know it alls or wannabe foodie blogger types.

~Tad
    This is so much like my life as a custom order jeweler, and why I stayed in it until health reasons made me stop. I do miss it............
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig