Quantcast
W's Mosaic pattern 300 Suji finished
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: W's Mosaic pattern 300 Suji finished

W's Mosaic pattern 300 Suji finished

Following on from this thread, http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...ut-of-the-etch.

I've had the blade and handle finished for a while for this. But I've been tinkering with the profile as it needed to be rubbed down again to etch my Logo. Its finally finished and I have tried to keep in mind the feedback from my pass around. I have gone for a for a very light etch this time and a fairly high hand rubbed satin finish. I'm going for subtlety, while the pattern is not obvious all the time, it blings when it catches the light. I'll add some specs and specific changes I've made from the pass around.

In the mean time, plenty of pics

All comments/questions and feedback most welcome.

Lookin GOOD

Thank you both. I'm quite pleased with the profile on this one. It feels like a much smaller knife. But then i've been used to a somewhat larger handle!
    I have a Gyuto which needs finishing in the same pattern and materials. These two will not be for sale as of yet. But depending on feedback will be a template for some future work. My experimentations with blue core/damascus are ongoing so I would hope to be able to offer some options and in mono-steel.

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

That's a really nice looking knife, Will. What wood is the handle?

Thanks Andrew, i'll bring my digi calipers home with me tomorrow and get some specifications up. The wood is stabilized Redwood from Burl source. The whole knife and handle has had a couple of light coats of beeswax in mineral oil. Its darkened the look of the wood quite a bit. The ferrule is blackwood.

You really have a regular source for blue steel? I thought Hitachi metals were hard to get outside of Japan...

Is it #1 or #2?

Its blue 2. There is a web store in germany that sell it, Dick biz I think. They have white 2 as well. But both in fairly limited sizes and at a premium, especially the blue. They have a hitachi carbon steel called YCS3 as well, but so far i'm loving the feel of the blue, which is a shame as its the most expensive. But in san mai it goes a bit further.

Damn! Nice improvements! Do we get to try out version #2? haha
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney