Quantcast
W's Mosaic pattern 300 Suji finished - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: W's Mosaic pattern 300 Suji finished

Finally remembered to take home my verniers. Here are the specs for this one

Blade length - 297mm
    Handle length - 147mm
    Total weight - 244 grams
    Taper from above choil, centre, to 10mm behind the tip
    2.4mm - 1.8mm - 0.7mm
    Edge thickness, ground to 0.1mm before sharpening. After sharpening an average of 0.2mm measured at the back of the final bevel.
    The bevel is set at approximately 11 degrees per side. Finishing stone, Sigma 13K.
    Balance point is 10mm in front of the choil.
    The faces are convex giving the blade less flex considering the thinness and amount of taper. And giving much better cutting performance by reducing suction and sticking.
    The steels are 75ni8 and en42J, around 3000 layers in this pattern triple tempered for a final edge hardness of around 60hrc.
    The finish is hand rubbed to 600 grit, then etched and polished with micro mesh to around 3K.
    The handle assembly is using a slotted dowel method. In this case the dowel is brass, giving the knife neutral balance without making the handle too large. Also giving great strength.

This one is for sale. Pricing and payment on my blog here
    http://customkitchenknives.blogspot.com/p/for-sale.html
    Happy New year all!

beautiful. Even my missus likes it, its serious

Just the shape of blade bothers me somehow

Thank you bieniek, If you can put your finger on what it is that troubles you, would be much appreciated. I nearly went for a rounded tip on this to fit in with the Gyuto and Petty, but just loved the look of it like that.

The heel starts very nicely, good height for my taste, the angle down the line is super cool, but the tip... the angled spine side gives some agression and dramaturgy to the blade and looks proper decent, but how the tip is turning up and the curve of edge goes up, just doesnt work for me, edge profile should be more flat, for my taste.

Overally its just very very nice, the handle finish is gorgeous, and I mean it, the transitions smooth but angular, if this makes sense.

Thanks, thats very helpful. It certainly brings home that one profile will not work for all. My pass around profile was much flatter. But I think a flatter profile looks better with a rounded tip, more Massamoto like on the spine/tip transition. This profile took more of an upsweep according to the feedback I received on the pass around. I will certainly sketch a flatter alternative for consideration on pre-order.
    Thanks for the feedback and compliments.
    Will

I haven't been following this thread and just saw the knife for the first time... lovely finish, very beautiful handle, and I agree that the tip end of the profile is a little too curved for my taste. Essentially the "nose" seems a little high. I don't know if this actually is the case in-use, but that's just the first visual impression and may very well be just a preference thing.

Looks like high quality work though, Will!
    Len

Thank you Len, I've just been comparing a couple of blades I have here, its quite interesting. I have a test blade with a rounded descent to the tip. It looks a much flatter profile. But on comparing the edge, it follows very nearly the exact same rise and line. I think there may be some optical illusion accentuating the upsweep here. Something that attracted me to this type of tip. Almost makes the whole blade look like its curving up, but the spine is flat. I'll try and get an edge shot of the two tomorrow to show you what I mean. This one is also very slender at the tip, I think this adds to it.

Edit :Just having a check with a straight edge, the handle is parallel with the spine, following a centre line through the handle lines up very closely with the tip.

Quote Originally Posted by WillC View Post
    I think there may be some optical illusion
    Yeeees, it definitely would be better to have a look personally :P

Quote Originally Posted by bieniek View Post
    Yeeees, it definitely would be better to have a look personally :P
    Ha ha , I see what you did there. We'll see.
    If anyone has a ruler and a Suji handy though, would be interested to know for comparison, with the ruler in a straight line down the middle of the handle extending towards the tip, is the tip inline? above or bellow?

The actual edge profile follows very closely that of my Masamoto ks 270 for reference.
    This one is still available here
    http://customkitchenknives.blogspot.com/p/for-sale.html
    I will include it in a January sale and offer a 10% discount on the price listed there for KKF members.