Workshop picture tour.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WillC

Reaction score
Well the workshop was unusually tidy for a monday morning, so I thought I would get some pictures:D My humble workshop is on an industrial estate in Hereford. I've not been in this workshop more than a year but have been on this site for about ten years. I moved not to long ago from a big breezy leaky tin tunnel not 200 yards away. It was still an effort to move:running: This one is a bit smaller, but its waterproof, which is a real luxury:D I work on my own for the larger part, with the help of my machines. I regularly have work experience students come and help though, especially If I have a larger scale project on.

Through the shutter door.
IMGP1678.jpg

My work table in the middle there, overbuilt of course, but you never know what you'll have to build on it.

IMGP1679.jpg

Couple of new additions, most of my tools are pretty old. But these work fine.
IMGP1680.jpg

My good old Donkey Saw, in need of the belts changing at the moment.
IMGP1681.jpg

Grinding bench
IMGP1682.jpg

IMGP1683.jpg

This big boy saves me allot of heat on larger projects. 100 ton horizontal press, would have been used for cold curving railway track originally.

IMGP1684.jpg

Vertical forging press and various tooling
IMGP1685.jpg

My little trusty Anyang 40K:biggrin:
IMGP1686.jpg

Loads of tools, I could do with making a load more tongs, but I've been saying that for years. As i'm mostly on my own I use allot of spring tools on a tool holder.
IMGP1688.jpg

Coke Forge. Actually the same one I made at college, although its had a few new canopys and forge bottoms.:laugh:

IMGP1689.jpg

Fly press, such a handy bit kit.

IMGP1691.jpg

Some assorted carbon steels and test laminate billets.
IMGP1692.jpg

My little welding furnace, actually a converted enameling kiln, with a home made burner.
IMGP1693.jpg

Bigger gas forge, rarely gets lit these days, too thirsty.
IMGP1694.jpg

New toy. A friend of mine built this. I have it for 6 months to test it for him, i'll be building one very similar in the mean time but will hopefully be getting some help with the electric box of tricks.:)

This one is just about long enough for a 300mm Wa Suji. So far seems to work very well, he's a clever chap.

IMGP1671.jpg

IMGP1668.jpg

IMGP1703.jpg

Some action shots of me working, courtesy of T.B London on his visit.:D
IMG_1163.jpg

IMG_1218.jpg

IMG_1136.jpg

IMG_1129.jpg

IMG_1126.jpg

IMG_1106.jpg

IMG_1102.jpg

IMG_1072.jpg

Thanks Chaps, My girl friend calls my workshop "Metal land":D. My little Anvil is a Peter wright. A wrought one with a welded on top. It does a lot for its size.

Thanks Mike, Its still a novelty not having water dripping on my head while i'm forge welding. The old place was a bit more Mad max style,:D

Thanks Jm, yes it gets used for all sorts. Punching, fullering, hot setting, stamping out funky shapes. There's a pile of tools i've made for it there on the shelves. Most stuff is a one off, which means new tooling depending on the design. Its fun making squishing tools. Would like to get some patterning tools for damascus made for it soon. I've not explored that area of damascus much yet.

My pleasure, if anyone is ever in the area, drop in and visit Metal land.:biggrin:

Plenty tools to keep you busy. :)
I have said it many times - there is never too many tools.

M

Really?? I will visit the Metal Land sometime next year to see the final process of etching for a Damascus... and handling if possible and bring it home with me.... NOt free of course.... but at a Hammered price! just kidding

Alot of heavy duty epqt there. I suppose that when you calculate all the tools and equipment.. would have cost you some serious money

rgds

D

Your right there Marko, more get , more want.:D I've been really jammy over the years with picking up the presses pretty cheap, right place, right time sort of thing. I nearly sprung for a BIG hammer several years ago, I think it was a 4cwt, until I realized it would cost 5 times as much to install as to buy it.:O

David, you would be welcome to visit Metal land anytime. :D The equipment has mainly accumulated with larger architectural and sculptural projects. Though I started with a loan from the Prince of wales trust fund, which bought me my hammer and the vertical press, which was a great start. :biggrin:

Cool toys, Will. I had forgotten that you are a bit of a ringer in that you have apparently been playing around with metal for a fair amount of time before you decided to make kitchen knives.:D

Wow. Not to make a horrible bump, but I am in awe of that workshop.

Its a bit more messsy right now than in the pictures. A healthy busy mess though:D Thanks Don:biggrin: I'll dig out some work highlights from over the years when I have a moment.

Metal working has always been a mystery to me but I do understand machinery and shops. "Metal Land" looks terrific and I am impressed.

Thanks guys, I can see it evolving with a few different bits of kit. I've been making damascus all week and i'm thinking of things I could build to make the process smoother.
Dave the tree is going to be a water feature, it will have leaves going all around the outside as well which will fill and pass it around the sphere. Should look pretty good. I did some twisty leaf floor lamps in the same sort of style recently with a cylinder of leaves.

As promised a few Highlights from over the years.
IMGP0788.jpg

IMGP0432.jpg

IMGP0133.jpg

IMGP0097.jpg

newstuff065.jpg

IMG_0734.jpg

IMG_0133.jpg

IMG_0108.jpg

IMG_1207.jpg

J1133x1559-00045.jpg

J1629x1214-00046.jpg

I really like your work, Will. Your style looks completely unique...very dynamic. A little Gaudi, a little Steampunk, totally Catcheside! Those gates are magnificent.
If I ever win the lottery, will you do my ornamental ironwork? :D

Thanks Dave, your very kind.
Yeah, lottery win ironwork, that would be something, stainless damascus gates?:D

wow!.. that really makes you an iron Monger..!

for once I am beginning to appreciate iron works. Will now open my eyes to sculptic iron works.. can now understand the type and effort involved in making them. I suppose knife making is entirely different but the effort is no less different.

the above pics accounts for the steep learning curve in knife making. By my layman estimate, the equipment that you have would run in 6 figures at the very least.

I certainly look fwd to receiving the test stainless blue paper core with the "bleeding carbon" as I believe/ expect or rather hope that the shape and contour of the patina can be dramatic against the stainless portion and become a slave to another collectable knife piece...

hv a nice week-end..

rgds
d

Latest posts

Back