Getting the whole family into J knives without intending to

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mano

Reaction score
When I kept my knives in the drawer with all the others everyone left them alone because they were too sharp or considered "Craig's knives." A month ago I put up a magnetic knife block and over the entire T'giving weekend everyone plucked different knives from the wall and raved about them. My 82 year-old mother loved the "terrific tomato knife" (a honesuki) and my daughter, who is scared sh!tless of them cut up enough apples for three pies. Sometimes people asked what knife was best for the job but pretty soon they used what they liked. I chuckled at how finally using a good cutter was a revelation for them. I went through the same thing a year ago.

Exact same here. Bought some for myself, got told they were a waste of money, now they all want me to buy them some

Same thing with my wife. I've always said that she was welcome to use any of mine, but until I recently found a few smaller sized knives, she never did. Now that she has discovered what size she likes, she wants some for herself.

Thank godness there were no accidents withb that many people using your knives. I won't let anyone touch my "nice" knives.

Matt, if I had your knives I'd do the same. Mine are all entry level J knives and the nicest thing about them are the handles. :doublethumbsup:

When I kept my knives in the drawer with all the others everyone left them alone because they were too sharp or considered "Craig's knives."

This has been my experience exactly, though I must be rubbing off on my wife somewhat since, while she remains reluctant to touch my Japanese knives, she now insists that I keep her German knives sharp for her.

It's probably a good thing that her sisters are intimidated by them. The first time I saw one of them cutting a green pepper while holding it in the palm of her hand, cutting in toward her palm, I nearly had a heart attack. Then I realized that her knife was literally no sharper than a butter knife.

Back