Stolen Idea

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lefty

Canada's Sharpest Lefty
Reaction score
I was reading up on some straight razor info and I came across an interesting method of keeping pitting at bay that I think would work great for carbon lovers like myself and many others. If you store your knife in the box, why not toss a couple silica gel packets down by the handle? I know the stuff is "poison", but if it's down by the handle, it should absorb moisture while it's pretty far away from the blade.
Has anyone tried this? If so, did it work/warp/not warp your handle?

I was reading up on some straight razor info and I came across an interesting method of keeping pitting at bay that I think would work great for carbon lovers like myself and many others. If you store your knife in the box, why not toss a couple silica gel packets down by the handle? I know the stuff is "poison", but if it's down by the handle, it should absorb moisture while it's pretty far away from the blade.
Has anyone tried this? If so, did it work/warp/not warp your handle?

About 10 years ago there was a story on Bladeforums of a guy that went in the service and packed away his knife collection with these packets and upon his return found the collection literally destroyed with rust galore. I remember some "expert" commenting that the packets needed to be made sure that they were dry before using them because they would introduce moisture into the container themselves. Is this true or BS? I can't say, just tellin' a story here.

If someone wants a surefire method of keeping rust at bay for long term storage on carbon knives I can give you my 100% recommendation for the combination of Flitz followed by Renaissance Wax. I've had a collection of vintage and modern carbon knives in storage units, basements, garages, and attics for over 15 years and not a speck of rust on any of them. Tried and proven

Thread on Long Term Storage

Don't use gel packets for any kind of long term carbon storage. They are for very short term use. Once they become saturated they start giving off moisture.

For short term storage, you can spray them with Boeshield T-9.
For long term storage, VCI (paper, foam, emitters) is the only way to go.

Somewhere I have a link to test results using oils and greases. The rusting would scare you.

Shoot! I was going to send them to Hawaii to be held onto. Time for plan b....

About 10 years ago there was a story on Bladeforums of a guy that went in the service and packed away his knife collection with these packets and upon his return found the collection literally destroyed with rust galore. I remember some "expert" commenting that the packets needed to be made sure that they were dry before using them because they would introduce moisture into the container themselves. Is this true or BS? I can't say, just tellin' a story here.

i use the same kind of silica gel in my cigar humidor. if they are damp they will absolutely humidify the air in the enclosure, thus causing the rust problems mentioned.

i use the same kind of silica gel in my cigar humidor. if they are damp they will absolutely humidify the air in the enclosure, thus causing the rust problems mentioned.

I was going to say the same thing, you beat me to it. Are you a Puff forum member?

I saw the ad of VCI paper, it seems only good for one year. Dave M will the Renaissance wax polish the surface instead of coating?

I use them in my tool boxes, ammo cases, gun safes and knife kits. They work tremendously well. If you use a tool box to store kitchen gadgets, you will notice immediately how they handle humidity and smell.

I replace a couple times every season. You can buy gallon containers of them on Amazon.

Dave M will the Renaissance wax polish the surface instead of coating?

I don't think that Ren Wax polishes, well maybe it makes stuff shiny but I think of a polisher as something that turns dull to shiny and Ren Wax doesn't do that. It's more of a surface coating I would think. Like I mentioned earlier in the thread it is a fantastic long term storage solution.

Will is discolor the carbon steel? Tempted to apply and remove the oil. Thanks!

Will is discolor the carbon steel? Tempted to apply and remove the oil. Thanks!

Will the Ren Wax itself discolor the carbon steel or will Ren Wax allow the carbon steel to discolor? The wax will not allow the steel to discolor nor will it discolor the steel.

I personally wouldn't use wax on a blade that I use on food. For long term storage it's great. PS - it resists washing off too. :)

I don't think anything has stood the test of time like cosmoline.

Rick

Whatever you do don't do what Stefan does.

Hey, I just saw that! Some of my knives are not rusty at all! ;) I like the rust-preventing paper, but I have a feeling that this also absorbs some moisture from just sitting around, so I am not sure about long term storage with this.

Stefan

I've used Cosmoline at work for storage of machined steel parts. The MSDS has me skeptical of safety for use on kitchen knives or anything that touches food. Is there a good way to remove it 100%? I'd worry about it absorbing into the wood as well.

Wikipedia mentions most removal methods use aggressive solvents and that the resulting sludge is toxic.

MSDS here http://www.cosmolinedirect.com/cosmoline-rust-veto-342-industrial-grade/

Yeah, I thought camelia oil will evaporate over time.

There are a variety of rust inhibiting products in the gun industry intended to assure rust free storage. Some advertise rust free performance despite the abuse of salt spray. Just like the concern of the OP with desiccant material, most chemicals are harmful or at least far from food grade. I have 2 dryer sticks mounted under the shelves of my safe. They plug in and provide a low moisture environment. I use a safe to protect my safe queens.

Flitz followed by a wax treatment sounds promising. Has anybody tried symichrome polish?

Back