Quantcast
What knife should I buy?
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What knife should I buy?

What knife should I buy?

What type of knife(s) do you think you want? A japanese knife- looking at Kanetsune Hammered Damascus Santoku or JCK Inazuma Gyuto.

Why is it being purchased? What, if anything, are you replacing? It's a Christmas present for my husband, who loves to cook. I would like to start a collection of great knives for him, since we weren't able to afford it before this.

What do you like and dislike about these qualities of your knives already?
    Aesthetics- plain, bulky
    Edge Quality/Retention- not sharp
    Ease of Use- bulky
    Comfort- uncomfortable

What grip do you use? western handle

What kind of cutting motion do you use? Not quite sure, but my husband is quite fast with the knives we do have.

Where do you store them? Knife block

Have you ever oiled a handle? No

What kind of cutting board(s) do you use? wooden and plastic

For edge maintenance, do you use a strop, honing rod, pull through/other, or nothing? Use a honing rod.

Have they ever been sharpened? Yes, but this doesn't seem to make a difference.

What is your budget? $120-200

What do you cook and how often? Stir-frys, roasts, seafood recipes- at least 4 to five times a week.

Special requests(Country of origin/type of wood/etc)? Would like it to be japanese- he really likes the look of damascus steel.

Get the Inazuma 210 or 240 mm gyuto. As someone mentioned in your first thread, no knife stays sharp forever. It will help if you keep the edge from touching anything that isn't food and using a rod (such as a MAC honing steel/rod) or a loaded strop but eventually, you will need to sharpen it or get it sharpened.

the Inazuma seems like a great start for a collection.

If you ever travel to calgary, you should make a point of dropping in to knifewear and see a huge pile of stuff in person. The shop is addictive.

The Inazuma seems like a bit of a sleeper and is a good one for people unsure of J-knives and looking for something flashy. I have the petty and it is great value, the f&f is very good for the price and 19c27 is good steel

I have the Inazuma suji and love it.

+1 Knifewear.com

+ Reply to Thread