Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Handle Taper

Handle Taper

I have been putting alot of taper in my handles lately. The last one I made ( Am I allowed to post a pic, its for one of my knives). It has 5mm taper on both planes from the ferrule to the end. I like the feel and also like the look of the smoother transition from the handle to tang. But I am wondering how much is too much? What do you guys like/prefer?

I think I prefer a more subtle taper to the extremes (just a big block or almost a cone), but it seems that a decent bit of taper would be really useful for smaller knives.

I am no wa-handle expert, but I prefer mine with a little less taper. My favorite wa only has 2mm of taper over 5.5 inches. Just a personal preference.

Quote Originally Posted by mhenry View Post
    I have been putting alot of taper in my handles lately. The last one I made ( Am I allowed to post a pic, its for one of my knives). It has 5mm taper on both planes from the ferrule to the end. I like the feel and also like the look of the smoother transition from the handle to tang. But I am wondering how much is too much? What do you guys like/prefer?
    5mm is too much on X plane.

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    5mm is too much on X plane.
    Hey Marko, X plane? would that be the plane that makes the sides, or top and bottom of the handle

i don't like a lot of taper. my favorite wa handle, which is one of Stefan Keller's, has the following measurements:

ferrule:

top to bottom 24mm

side to side 22.5 mm

bottom of handle:

top to bottom 26mm

side to side 23.5 mm

146mm in length

not much taper. that's on a Shigefusa 240 gyuto. feels perfect.

Here's a pic of the kulprit handle it actually has 4.6mm taper. Top/bottom view
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0754.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	117.0 KB 
ID:	2712  

Looks long. I think it comes down to personal taste. I prefer a bit less taper myself. I also recently made a few where there is very little taper over the handle length but then a few mm taper on the sides just on the ferrule. That also makes for a nice transition to the blade and feels good. I think Andy had made his handles like that years ago.

Stefan

Vertically 3-5mm, horizontally 2-3mm

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    Vertically 3-5mm, horizontally 2-3mm
    Just wondring, is this for aesthetic reasons or ergonomic?