Breaking news!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PierreRodrigue

Reaction score
After long debate, and numerous conversations behind the scenes with several forum members, I am happy to announce that I will be unveiling the first run of knives designed and completed by my self. These "Professional Series" knives, will be CPM 154, western handles Gyutos, similar in blade profile to this http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php?2968-250-Gyuto

These will be cut out by laser, heat treated in salts with a cryo finish then ground, with convex faces, polished, and handled with similar woods, and bolsters. Enough that no two knives are identical.

The design has been finalized, and will be in prototype stage shortly.

Haha! Your funny! I got a bunch of little elfs in the shop, but had to give them a layoff, so they could get up north to help that jolly old fart that hangs out there! Some process will be farmed out, is all I was hinting at. :)

Nice Pierre :)

By saing "Professional Series" I guess these will be midtech line?
Do I understand it correctly that cutting, heat treating will be subcontracted?
Any thing else or will you be doing all the rest yourself?

Good luck anyway, Im all custom as you know ;)

Well, the why is quite simple. I can't do everything I would like to do in the time I have available. As well, doing this will allow me to offer knives at a price much lower than a full custom, and keep the quality where it needs to be. If it isn't right, I'm not letting it out of the shop! As for cost, this is to be finalized.

Congratulations on taking the next step, Pierre! May you have as much success keeping your mid-tech line in stock as Devin has had, that is, none to speak of.

Congrats, Pierre! I have a feeling these will be tough to get our hands on.

Hey, I know that knife!
For all the prospective buyers, it is an AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWSSSSSSSSSSOME (the kids are very much into Kung Fu Panda right now, Sorry) and i can't see you getting the least bit disappointed with this setup and shape. If you ever was interested in a nimble high performance knife, this would be it!

Edit, I like this knife even more now (it has grown on me) than when i got it and wrote the review and that was starting at a high level.

Pierre,

This sounds great, I am excited to hear more about these.

-Chuck

Congrats Peirre:thumbsup: I would still consider these a "custom"

Thanks guys. I'm excited, and nervous as hell at the same. Thanks for the support and encouragement! Looking forward to the official unveil!

Great news indeed. Its always nice to see both great makers getting more recognation and more people getting access to their knives. Are you selling thsee directly or though CKTG?

I still don't understand exactly what this is going to be. Not that there's anything wrong with it, but the way you are describing it, it doesn't sound all that different from me sitting at home, modifying some knives that I bought from someone else. Basically one step more "custom" than Kramer stamping his name on a Shun or Henckels. Exactly what is it you are and aren't doing?

Pierre, unless I am gravely mistaken, will still be doing the grinding. That is the most important factor to making a stock removal knife, you know...removing the stock. And Pierre's grinding skills are worth every penny and then some.

Pierre, unless I am gravely mistaken, will still be doing the grinding. That is the most important factor to making a stock removal knife, you know...removing the stock. And Pierre's grinding skills are worth every penny and then some.
LOL. Thanks, Eamon. Pierre told you he is doing all of the stock removal? On another note, what are you basing your generous impression of these skills he has?

Well he didn't tell me specifically, but getting a machine to grind a knife is a huuuuge undertaking compared to having them waterjet cut, so if he's not grinding them, I'd be surprised he failed to mention how they are being ground. This sounds like standard mid tech stuff-steel, wj cut, ht out of house, so he gets ready to work blanks to do the magic.

Oh and I'm basing my opinions on his knives! They are superbly ground...fun to just hold up to light and look at.

Gentlemen. Here's the scoop. Yes these are mid-techs, I hate that phrase, but there is no way around what they are. I called them "Professional Series" Sounds nicer than mid-tech... Feel free to use either term. They will be cut out by lasers, tighter tollerance than waterjet. Same end result, knife blanks. They will be heat treated in salts, in my opinion, a more consistant process. They will also be cryo treated. The blanks will be rough ground, bulk of the material removed, to save me time, and cost. I will finish the process, and build the handles.

Regardless of the process, it doesn't get my mark, or leave the shop, until I'm comfortable putting my name on it. Period.

I am looking at doing some of these Wa handled. Just so there is an option. There will be no customization of these knives, it will not be worth it for me at the projected price point. (Which will be announced closer to the release date, still some things to work out) Thanks for the support, I hope this helps clear the waters.

Thanks for the clarification, Pierre. I'll be interested to see some of your more current work.

Latest posts

Back