UPS brought me more cool stuff!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burl Source

Weird Wood Pusher
Reaction score
UPS guy just dropped off a big heavy box for me.
90lbs of wood back from being stabilized.

1-4.jpg

Some of these are new woods for me.
Birch, Mango, English Sycamore, Amboyna, Koa and Black Oak.

2-2.jpg

Now, it's time to get to work cleaning them up so I can see what I really have here.

I'll be keeping a close eye on this delivery. :)

For half price I'll take a few uncleaned ;) Looks great. Waiting for a K&G box myself, but closer to 15 pounds only...

Stefan

sounds like a gift for myself. love the mango and black oak I got from you before.

For half price I'll take a few uncleaned ;) Looks great. Waiting for a K&G box myself, but closer to 15 pounds only...
Stefan

You are the one that caused me to get the Mango. I had always ignored it until I saw one of your handles with Mango. Unusual but kind of cool stuff.

sounds like a gift for myself. love the mango and black oak I got from you before.
Tom, you are one of the few that are brave enough to try the unusual stuff.

I like mango, it has a nice fine structure and a little color variation which makes for a nice light colored wood that is more interesting than many others. Also spalts very nicely, and here it's local and plentiful, I should use it more... :)

Stefan

Here are a few I sanded so far.
Spalted American Sycamore, Flamed English Sycamore
Mango and Koa.

3-2.jpg

:wow: Oh boy... I shouldn't have looked again.

Stefan

i spy somthing amboyna (and 2 toned no less)

I like the 2 tone amboyna so I cut several that way.
I just started sanding them. Here they are at 36 grit. They will get darker and redder when I sand them finer.

4-2.jpg

Don't buy them all Butch...I want one of them also lol. Second inside on the bottom right is awesome...You leaving any natural edges on them?

I guess this means I should clean up the amboyna first.
Some are cut for a large WA, others might yield 2 or more.

These days most of the amboyna out there is the orange stuff.
I was really happy to get this old red one.

In an attempt to show the blocks more accurately I am experimenting with a scanner.
It shows the color and grain really good, but does not show the figure and dimensions of the block very well.

The amboyna did not turn out as red as I had expected. More like a red/orange. But I still like it.
What do you guys think? Is this stuff any good?

img036.jpg

Even dark amboyna is kinda light-colored to me but I'm sure there's a market for this stuff, Mark.

Here are the same blocks but a photo instead of a scan.
I think it makes the pieces look more lifelike. But maybe it's just me.

ups001.jpg

I think you should do both. If I had to choose one, I'd go for the scan. I like seeing the detail and I think the lighting will be more consistent.

I was starting to think the same thing about doing both.
Here is an individual block positioned like I usually do for my web store.
The 1st one (photo) looks more like it would in daylight setting. Colors are accurate.
p.jpg

The 2nd one (scan) looks how it would if you hold it directly under a bright light.
s.jpg

interesting. the color is a lot better on the normal pic. i guess that is to be expected. you definitely need to normal photos.

This stuff is obviously worthless, send it to me and I will dispose of it for you, no charge!

This stuff is obviously worthless, send it to me and I will dispose of it for you, no charge!
no, no,'no. I can use it to fuel my wood burning oven, and I'll break down and pay the shipping.

interesting. the color is a lot better on the normal pic. i guess that is to be expected. you definitely need to normal photos.

I would assume that the lens and the software in your camera are better than in the scanner, but the scanner resolution looks decent enough for web pics. So, you could just import the scanned jpgs into a photo software, boost the contrast and saturation a little bit, and get the best of both. Of course, you still get only 2 dimensions that way.

Stefan

Given the variation in the calibration from computer to computer and monitor to monitor what you post is pretty much irrelevant to what people will actually see, color wise. Keep posting anyway.

the for reall pics are easer for me to judge how the sapwood and grain run

Given the variation in the calibration from computer to computer and monitor to monitor what you post is pretty much irrelevant to what people will actually see, color wise. Keep posting anyway.
True. Nevertheless, I bet the scanner pics look worse on most, if not all monitors.

I really like the scanned pictures. The color is going to change when it is finished anyway, and like Spike said, monitor calibrations are different all over. You could also do what Stefan said and adjust some sliders in any number of free photo editing software and get the color to better reflect how it looks.

Or just include both when you can. I mean, it's only twice the work. :D

I would be grabbing one of these if I hadn't just gotten some like this last week.

I cleaned up some of the Mango and posted some for sale at BF because I was requested to do so by a regular customer.
First I posted a couple photos and they just didn't look near as nice as in real life.

1m009.jpg

1m008.jpg

Then I tried making a video. That showed the blocks a lot better.

[video=youtube_share;cKvSpDOsgD0]http://youtu.be/cKvSpDOsgD0[/video]

Latest posts

Back