Quantcast
Konosuke HD Funayuki 240mm?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Konosuke HD Funayuki 240mm?

Konosuke HD Funayuki 240mm?

Is the Kono HD Funayuki pretty much the same profile as the Masamoto KS it seems very similar to me with the flatter profile?

I love the HD steel and i like the profile of the KS so much, it would also be a lot cheaper.

It looks pretty similar to me what do you guys think?

Pictures?Links??

Nevermind got it.I like..but it doesn't seem to be a lot cheaper.

You have narrowed your selection to two fine pieces of cutlery. If the price premium for the Masamoto is an issue then your choice is made, buy the Kono and be happy with it. I like the ebony handle on the Kono better than the magnolia handle on the Masamoto.

Looks like a copy of the KS profile. However this 240 (if measured like other Kono gyutos from the machi)
    will be about 15mm shorter from heel to tip than the KS. Interesting knife, I wonder how this profile functions on a much thinner knife than the one it was borrowed from.
    Last edited by TamanegiKin; 11-29-2011 at 07:00 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by TamanegiKin View Post
    ... I wonder how this profile functions on a much thinner knife than the one it was borrowed from.
    This is really key. I wonder if anyone knows. That is, of course the advice (a la 99Limited) to get the less expensive knife if the more expensive is cost-prohibitive makes all kinds of sense. But the question still (almost always) is "do you get something more for spending more money?"

Quote Originally Posted by Wagstaff View Post
    ... But the question still (almost always) is "do you get something more for spending more money?"
    To go along with that question is this, "Do you have the skills to extract the difference"? I know I don't and probably never will. So when the choices are this close I let the source for the purchase and the aesthetics of the item be the deciding factor.

Good point -- though that depends on what difference(s) is/are.

I think things like: the flatter profile may be better for push-cutting; is that something you want to do with a thinner knife? Or should one want something more robust for that? (And I think some people come down harder against the board even with that style than others -- enough to matter?) I dunno. There might be both practical and theoretical reasons to prefer one profile over another. And maybe the thickness of the blade plays into those reasons. I'm ok with theory even if I'm not a good enough technician to extract the differences -- i.e., figuring why choose one over another, and then decide whether those reasons apply to me. Certainly my skills are nothing to brag about, but I don't know where they'll end up over the lifetime of a particular knife (or the particular me, either!)

Quote Originally Posted by TamanegiKin View Post
    ...how this profile functions on a much thinner knife than the one it was borrowed from.
    It looks like a Carter funy to me. As for thinness, some KS and honyaki are thinner than the KonHD near the tip. They are only thicker toward the heel. I'm sure they will work just fine.

Actually, I'm sure it's a Carter knock-off, now that I've compared it. It's not Masamoto at all.

Which is probably why he's calling it a funayuki.

He had a Moritaka made Masamoto shaped gytuo and it was tagged "ks"......
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com